Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a tiny tiny bit of warped plastic on my adapter, and the service center swapped me out immediately with the "new" adapter. I can't see if there's an embedded fuse, but it is the new design.

This happened a couple months ago. I have used it to charge at 40 amps a couple days ago, to full range charge. No problems.

I had a tiny tiny bit of warped plastic on my adapter, and the service center swapped me out immediately with the "new" adapter. I can't see if there's an embedded fuse, but it is the new design.

This happened a couple months ago. I have used it to charge at 40 amps a couple days ago, to full range charge. No problems.

Doubt it is the new thermally protected one. Look at the flat face and see what the part number is. Does it end with anything other than -B or -A?

Got this during a service visit (same old one as @roblab):

14-50-replacement.png

I was at the service center today purchasing a 10-30 adapter and I asked about a the 14-50 adapter. The service manager said that they are still building them and none of the service centers have the new adapters yet. She said that they will be shipped to all of us when they have them perfected. My car has been dropping to 30 amps almost every night.

I don't believe you will see the power fluctuation protection removed. Perhaps they will loosen it, but you should probably spend the time to figure out why your charge current is being throttled. It could be a misbehaving appliance, it could be an undersized service conductor, it could be an overloaded transformer or distribution network.

Everything has been checked out and is fine and working the way it should be. So not sure what is going on here. In the mean time I don't mind charging at 30 amps. I would just prefer 40 if possible. I've checked the UMC in the middle of a charge and it's barely even warm. So who knows.

Mine charges at 40 amps. Just took it in for 12000 mile service and they asked to check my cable for signs of melting, but I hadn't thought to bring it. I told them I check it every month or so and it looks perfect. Mine also barely gets warm even after hours of charging.

Everything has been checked out and is fine and working the way it should be. So not sure what is going on here. In the mean time I don't mind charging at 30 amps. I would just prefer 40 if possible. I've checked the UMC in the middle of a charge and it's barely even warm. So who knows.

Unfortunately, many electricians and power company engineers are still stuck in the old world where all loads are resistance or motor loads (motors, incandescent light bulbs, and heat strips). The Tesla is backing a charge off because of a voltage fluctuation it is seeing. This could be caused by a loose connection at the receptacle/breaker (although sounds like it's checked) or misbehaving appliance (for example, a failing start capacitor that causes an A/C compressor or heat pump to draw a very heavy load for a longer period of time) or a loose/undersized service conductor (for example, prior to my upgrade I had a 2/0 service conductor good for ~130A feeding my home's 200A panel, and was regularly stretching the limits on that cable) or an overloaded transformer feeding your home (for example, prior to my upgrade my transformer was rated at only 15 kVA, or about 60 amps - and I was drawing nearly 2x that).

The car backing off from its maximum charge isn't just applicable to the branch circuit, it is indicative of some type of voltage drop that looks like a higher resistance than normal. I'm going to assume that your connections are tight on your 14-50's circuit and that the branch circuit is okay (you said it was checked out). To do a bit of troubleshooting, you can turn off all other circuits except the Tesla and see if it still backs off. If it does, you want to call the power company and have them do power quality measurements as the Tesla tries charging, and they should start looking at the power distribution to your home (transformer, distribution network). If that's the case, it's not something in your home causing it. If it hasn't backed off yet, you will want to turn on individual loads, one at a time, starting with the largest first - if the car backs off, try to isolate it to a bad appliance. If you can't isolate it to an appliance, it may be an aggregate loading problem (service conductors). It's a complex problem to troubleshoot, but it IS indicative of a problem with your electrical service somewhere.

Safety Recall Notice -- NEMA 14-50 adapter

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, or if it has been posted already, but I don't remember seeing anything and a quick search showed nothing.

I got a letter from Tesla today about the NEMA 14-50 recall. The envelope says "Safety Recall Notice" in bold letters and "Issued in Accordance With Federal Law".

It is dated March 11, 2014 and says the new adapters start mailing in two weeks. The letter has pictures of the old adapter, with black plastic face, and the new one, with a grey plastic face.

I called Tesla today because I use the 6-50 adapter for 90% of my charging and there was no mention in the written recall of the other adapters. I got to the head electronics engineer and he verified that other adapters, and specifically the 6-50 will eventually be replaced also. They verified that 98% of customers are using the 14-50 and the recall will initially be aimed at replacing these first. He could not give a time frame for the others to be replaced.