Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corroding side view mirror brackets on norwegian cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried searching, but I didn`t find a dedicated thread for this subject:

Many norwegians are seeing white/grey stripes running from the side view mirrors down the side of the front door. The stuff doesn`t go away with regular washing, you have to rub/polish to get the stuff off. To make it clear from the start - this is not road dust or salt.
Even though the car might seem clean after washing - once the front doors dry up you can still see white stripes on both front doors, and the surface of the doors isn`t smooth.

The cause seems to be aluminium corrosion, more precisely the aluminium side view mirror bracket is corroding. "Noone" at Tesla had heard about this when I mentioned it a few weeks ago, but thorugh the norwegian forum I`ve learned that many have this issue (but haven`t noticed as it`s still winter and the cars are permanently dirty). Most, if not all cars will eventually have this if it`s due to the weather.

Have anyone heard about new side view mirror brackets coming out anytime soon? The car looks horrible with aluminium corrosion all over the front doors, and there has been discussion about how this can affect the paintwork (so far no evidence of permanent damage to painwork).

I am getting what I believe to be aluminium corrosion creeping up from under the lower rubber seal at the bottom of the triangle window, which is in the vicinity of the mirror bracket. Here in Southern Ontario, cars get saturated with salt and other ice melting chemicals all winter. From about December to March it is usually impossible to tell what color my car is due to the layers of salt all over it. It's in the shop right now and I've asked them to report on this. I pick it up tonight.

Please report what fix they'll apply to your car. Us customers might get the fix before us Norwegians, but I suspect this has to be fixed on absolutely all cars delivered in Norway. And summer is coming, so hundreds/thousands will notice this very soon....

The only fix should be to replace the bracket. If Tesla put a part on the car that is bare aluminum, oxidation will occur - the bracket needs something to protect it (like ecoat or anything that seals the surface).

I would bet it is an outsourced part that was overlooked as far as needing to be coated.

I have this big time. Ran my car through a touch-less automatic wash today. The whole car was pretty clean afterwards except front doors under the mirrors. Hand wash with quality products and mitt next week is the plan.
4ebene4y.jpg
9y6e9usy.jpg

Here is the answer from Tesla to a norwegian member of the El. Car Forum: "The grey material coming from your mirrors on your doors is due to salt corrosion inside your mirrors. We are aware of the issue and are working on the solution. It will require replacing your outside mirrors with ones that have a coating on the aluminum support. Fremont is still working on organizing the required parts. In the interim, frequently washing off the material is recommended. We do not yet have a date when we can update your mirrors."

Let`s hope they can roll out a fix before peoples mirrors start falling off. I`m not in PR, but I would bet that could impact sales somewhat..
A little OT, Johan, are you happy with your garage flooring? Closed or draining tiles?

I have this big time. Ran my car through a touch-less automatic wash today. The whole car was pretty clean afterwards except front doors under the mirrors.

I get the exact same thing, although not as severe. My car was in for service and they removed, cleaned and re-installed the side mirrors, although I don't believe anything was replaced.

Johan's pics look pretty severe. My car has been pretty clean since the last snow a couple weeks ago, but I have noticed similar streaking on the passenger side door below the mirror. I'll keep monitoring it as the seasons change. Hopefully it's just a result of a hasty hand wash or some fallout from the tree over our driveway.

Probably all cars delivered up until now (and probably for a few more weeks) have this problem. It`s bare aluminium without the necessary coating to protect it.
Whether you`ll notice it or not depends on a lot of factors, but lots of customers might not have any issues if their cars aren’t exposed to tough conditions (kept dry, away from road salt etc) In Norway Tesla has sold about 2-3000 cars, and every single one needs new brackets. When spring comes owners will notice.

What I don’t like about this is that this could be an indicator of other similar flaws on other more critical parts of the car. Warranty repairs are expensive, especially here in Norway where labour costs are high. Also - the main service center has serious problems coping with demand. Last time I checked they had a two month wait for fixing door handles that don`t work. And with a floodwave of new Model S` arriving as we speak - Teslas service department will be swamped.....

I have this same problem. The corrosion has stained my doors. It does NOT come off with regular washing or an IPA wipedown. I have a DA polisher and the only was I was able to remove it was actually polishing my car. So I had to do a typical detail job, aka cirtrus wash, claying, IPA wipedown (this is all prep work to make sure I don't scratch up the car with the DA polisher), then some light polishing with the DA and it goes away. While it is not hard, this is not something the average Joe can do simply because they don't have the tools to do it nor the detailing experience to properly prep the car in order not to mess it up when polishing. Unfortunately, this doesn't last for long because the next time you wash the car, the corrosion leaks right back out and starts staining the door again.

this is it on one side of my car. I love the swirls lol.

View attachment 45240

Did you have a nano coating on your car or Opti-Coat? I haven't seen this on my car yet (VIN 4xxx) and the Chicago winter was pretty bad with lots of salt. I did wash about every two weeks or after there was a heavy snow/salt load. I'll have to look closer.

I applied Gtechniq C1 and EXOv2, and that's been a life saver, but I can tell that the coating has thinned in certain areas -- especially after Tesla washed my car last week and swirled up the trunk and quarter panels.