Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MaRT: A maglev proposal for the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ladies and Gents,

In the UK there is a contentious plan for High Speed Rail (similar to the California proposal). It has the backing of the UK Government, and a few big corporations , but not many others. I am very much against it, but do believe in the idea of a better system for the UK. Therefore I have written a proposal (- a thought experiment) that casts light on HS2 and proposes a new public transport system. It is inspired by the example of Tesla and Elon Musk (not so much the Hyperloop), but I hope that the mods will allow this thread some space, as it is to do with disruptive technological change and transport systems. If you know the UK you may appreciate it as I go into detail about the routing, though the ideas can be used in regions in the USA and elsewhere (e.g North East, Great Lakes).

As Elon says, the only way to innovate is to listen to criticism, and build from first principles, so please don't be afraid to be critical. I have based the technology on the established Transrapid Maglev system, but it is the operational side that is novel. I have also suggested that alternate technologies could be used, e.g. a 'Skate' Train (using in line wheels) driven by AC induction motors. I would like peoples opinion on this. If you like the ideas, you are welcome to contribute. There is no money in it at the moment, but if a VC is reading this and wants a potential piece of a 100 billion pound pie, I can be pm'd.:tongue:

The other Tesla connection is in the suggestion for using stationary Battery packs to buffer or balance the system.

You can view the latest version of the proposal at TCIntelligence | Energy, Environment, Technology, Policy, Innovation

I have attached my paper to this post. The paper is called "Way to Go: Re-Imagining High Speed Rail in the UK" View attachment MaRT proposal.pdf

Last edited: