Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions For Tesla Model S Firmware Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lx3h

Charged.hk's Director of Education
Got this idea from watching Bjørn's Norway Model S driving video yesterday and the new Parking In HK thread.

(from 18:41)

I think the guidelines can be easily added to the Model S firmware. For parking and for entering carparks.

You see, I mostly drive my sister's BMW 520iA to carparks and the most frequent carparks I visit are the Hang Lung ones (ie. Kornhill, Winsor House) and Park Lane Hotel carpark, which is opposite Winsor House. They are just tiny gaps for the width (2102 mm / 82.8" mirror to mirror) at the entrances. It is terrible!!! It has sensors but camera doesn't work in forward gear, making it purely a guessing game every time when entering. One time driving up (steep incline) the entrance, I freaked and had to reverse the car to adjust the angle of entrance.

Model S has a mirror extended width of 2189mm / 86.2", that is almost 2 inch wider on each side, making it even trickier to enter. Maybe fold up the mirror when entering (doable)? Because that will shrink it down to 1964mm / 77.3", but then we can't see how much space we actually have left on both sides.

Tesla's rear camera will help, but not sure how much. With guidelines, things will be much more easier.

Do suggest how else can a new feature added to the firmware make your life better.

Perhaps someone from Tesla will see this one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superchargers Availability Check Functionality

It would be great if the maps on the Model S can show the availability of the superchargers in Hong Kong. Even better if the remaining charging time can also be shown. Or making the whole functionality entirely on the Model S app.

It would be great if the maps on the Model S can show the availability of the superchargers in Hong Kong. Even better if the remaining charging time can also be shown. Or making the whole functionality entirely on the Model S app.
at the moment that a supercharger is available, it shows on the map if you have option set. We in Europa even see the US superchargers, all thou we will never be able to charge from them (other connector)

I want to see the music player displaying Songs' info in Chinese or other Asian languages properly. Heard it doesn't support Asian languages now. It should be a very basic thing as in all Android or IOS devices

I want to see the music player displaying Songs' info in Chinese or other Asian languages properly. Heard it doesn't support Asian languages now. It should be a very basic thing as in all Android or IOS devices

So sonywong, your wish has been granted. Right?

Yet, the bird's-eye view and parking guidelines aren't ready yet. Still. Maybe if there is a bird's-eye view, we won't scratch our rims so easily. Imagine an all-time-on bird's-eye view option, even when driving.

When you stop at traffic lights, I used to put the car in neutral and have the hand brake on. But in the MS, I used the parking "gear", however, whenever you have the dome lights set to auto, every time I stop at traffic lights (in parking gear), the dome lights comes on, and the outside handle pops out. I wish there is a mode for the dome lights only turn on when you open the doors, and handle doesn't pop out every time you put the car in park

So sonywong, your wish has been granted. Right?

Yet, the bird's-eye view and parking guidelines aren't ready yet. Still. Maybe if there is a bird's-eye view, we won't scratch our rims so easily. Imagine an all-time-on bird's-eye view option, even when driving.
yes, all Chinese mp3 tags displayed properly now.

Suggestion from ekwng: car sends notification to app upon completion of charging.

This can be done via VisibleTesla (it emails you), not just charging complete, but also SOC above or below a certain level. I have been using it since I got my car. It's better than the official app.
VT.png

An "infinite trip meter". Instead of just A and B trip meters, define a trip as starting whenever the car is shifted out of park, and ending whenever the car is put in park. This would solve several practical problems:

- Forgetting to set the trip meter at the start of a trip.
- Forgetting to check the trip meter at the end of a trip.
- Keeping track of more than two things.

It would also enable a whole new class of interesting metrics, with a bit of software to analyze the raw data:

- How long is my average commute to work?
- Is it shorter or longer on Friday?
- Is there seasonal variation?
- Has traffic really been getting worse over the last few years, or is that just my imagination?
- Do I really save time taking that short cut?
- At 5pm on Tuesday, which of the ways I've driven this route is typically fastest? Or most consistent?
- How does energy consumption vary with season, or with external temperature, or with speed?

You can also learn things about your daily routine, such as:

- How long is a typical round trip to the grocery store?
- How often do I actually drive up to the city?

With a bit of additional metadata, you could discover all kinds of other behavioral correlations, like whether loud music makes you drive faster, or whether being on a phone call measurably affects the quality of your driving (e.g. more sudden braking).

(There's an obvious question about whether or under what circumstances law enforcement should have access to vehicle telemetry, but please please please not in this thread.)

This can be done via VisibleTesla (it emails you), not just charging complete, but also SOC above or below a certain level. I have been using it since I got my car. It's better than the official app.

Does this require a server to be online all the time, in other words, you have a MAC or PC somewhere running 24/7?

- - - Updated - - -

An "infinite trip meter". Instead of just A and B trip meters, define a trip as starting whenever the car is shifted out of park, and ending whenever the car is put in park. This would solve several practical problems:

Great suggestion, did you send this to TM?