Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

minneapolis charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Madison Wi and drove to MSP last weekend in our Model S to visit our son and grandkids in Golden Valley.--great road car. No problem with the superchargers in Eau Claire or Mauston. We had to recharge to be able to get through the weekend and back to Eau Claire. The service people in Eden Prarie were very helpful and made the trip seamless. We will make the trip a few times a year and wonder if there are any Tesla owners near Golden Valley who would let us use their charger? Obviously we would be glad to reciprocate if you came through Madison. We live close to downtown and within walking distance of the stadium. It would be helpful if Tesla would install outdoor chargers at their service centers since many of them are in urban areas.

p.s. Watch out for MSP potholes!!

I'll shortly be in a pretty similar boat. I live on the west side of Madison and on Monday I'll be trading in my Chevy Volt for a Model S in Highland Park.

I'm from St. Cloud, MN. My dad lives in Minneapolis and my mom lives in Cold Spring (in the general vicinity of St Cloud). Neither have chargers at their residences. The twin cities have good chargepoint coverage but St Cloud is basically a dead zone. It looks like I'll be spending a fair amount of time charging at the local Nissan dealership if they'll have me.

I haven't managed to spot you, or any other Teslas, in Madison yet. Happy to see they're around though. :smile:

Especially watch out for the potholes on I-394. A motorcyclist died this week because of them. Of course, the idiot was going 120 mph at night...
Rick & Cole, you have chargers, they are called 120v outlets. Stay at least 30 hours in Cold Spring, and you should be fine. I'd skip the dealerships, I had a bad experience and other folks had okay experiences. St. Cloud State should have a J-1772 somewhere. You should reach out to the MN EV owner's club for the most recent map.

Especially watch out for the potholes on I-394. A motorcyclist died this week because of them. Of course, the idiot was going 120 mph at night...
Rick & Cole, you have chargers, they are called 120v outlets. Stay at least 30 hours in Cold Spring, and you should be fine. I'd skip the dealerships, I had a bad experience and other folks had okay experiences. St. Cloud State should have a J-1772 somewhere. You should reach out to the MN EV owner's club for the most recent map.

120mph, without a helmet... Sigh:mad:

There are a number of free chargers at many GoodWill stores as well.
If your folks have a 30Amp dryer plug, or if you want to chip in and see if they can get a NEMA 14-50 plug you should be golden.
I expect we will see SCs in Brainerd this year, and at some point one in the metro region.

If you haven't, please request one, the more requests they get the sooner we will see one.

I'll shortly be in a pretty similar boat. I live on the west side of Madison and on Monday I'll be trading in my Chevy Volt for a Model S in Highland Park.

I'm from St. Cloud, MN. My dad lives in Minneapolis and my mom lives in Cold Spring (in the general vicinity of St Cloud). Neither have chargers at their residences. The twin cities have good chargepoint coverage but St Cloud is basically a dead zone. It looks like I'll be spending a fair amount of time charging at the local Nissan dealership if they'll have me.

I haven't managed to spot you, or any other Teslas, in Madison yet. Happy to see they're around though. :smile:

Someone should touch base with Todd at the SC and see if they have any plans to add one. The SC itself is not a great location for a SC as there isn't anything there really. Rumor was a Mall of America showroom was suppose to be opening this year. Maybe if that is happening they can add some to parking ramp there - something similar to the newer chargers being installed (Vegas, DC, etc). This would be idle all around as it would server their test drive fleet plus be a prime spot for charging. I travel into MSP and can't make it back without some type of additional charge. I've used the Service Center's HPWC and the Haaf ramp L2 charger but a SC seems like a no brainer for MSP. Plus the upcoming map north to Duluth leaves MSP as a large gap on the way there (thinking 35N).

Not sure it will actual result in anything but I've asked Kwik Trip to reach out to Tesla on SC's and indicated that the MSP area would seem to be a great fit to start if they hook up on SCs. Kwik Trip is all about the multiple fuel sources it seems in the local stations and the newer ones so maybe it translates to something. The newer 'SC on a platform' that they are using now seems like a perfect fit. On the Wisconsin side I've put the bug in folks at Festival Foods. Can't hurt and it seems like perfect locations (24-hours open, bathrooms, WiFi, food) :smile: