Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Which Finalist State Should Tesla Pick for the Gigafactory?

Which State Should Tesla Choose For the Gigafactory?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arizona. Cheap land, tons of sun, easy transportation access(rail and freeway) to Fremont, good business incentives.

Amazon has several large distribution facilities that serve California near where I have heard Gigafactory would be built.

Last edited:
Nevada makes the most sense right now for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the a large population center in Nevada Reno is extremely close to the current Tesla factory where gen 3 will be built. In addition that population center uniquely overlaps both excellent solar irradiance and very high wind power density. These factors make it the logical choice in my opinion.

The only reason that Tesla would decide to go to Texas in my opinion is as a bargaining chip to allow for the reversal of anti-tesla laws in Texas. Otherwise, the be looking at building the factory in north west of Texas, where the solar and wind resources are high, but that is far away from major population centers and from their assembly location.

For me it's a toss up between Nevada and New Mexico. Nevada mostly because of location and the ability to feed right into Fremont. New Mexico because, of all the options, I think they'll get the most support there. You might also be able to spur New Mexico Tesla sales more so than Nevada sales when people get excited about an innovative factory getting build right in there backyard. Unfortunately, I can't say as much for the other finalists.

Tesla has named Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada as the finalists for the Gigafactory location. Which do you think they should choose?
My bet is on Nevada, with a runner-up of New Mexico. Arizona and Texas would have to "make a move" to change existing anti-Tesla positions, and they haven't shown signs of doing so.

Why Nevada over New Mexico? The word "bet" was involved. ;)

So let's say Texas changes their anti-Tesla laws to get the factory then later ramrods through anti-Tesla legislation again. I could see that happening.

I would hope Tesla would put a clause in there saying Texas couldn't vote on it for another 20 years or so. That way it gives them plenty of time for the Gen III to get circulated throughout the state.

So let's say Texas changes their anti-Tesla laws to get the factory then later ramrods through anti-Tesla legislation again. I could see that happening.

I don't.

They want to keep business moving to TX, such a massive and public debacle would tell any business thinking of opening operations in TX they should mosey on down somewhere else.

That the state development office is not to be trusted, plus once Tesla is there they will have a powerful lobby to block legislation.

Plus, Elon and Tesla's legal team are not idiots. I am sure they will set up the deal, if there is one, to protect Tesla's interest.

Like closing down shop, moving 6.5k jobs out of state, at minimal cost to Tesla.

Once TX has invested hundreds of millions on infrastructure improvements.

Texas, but only if Texas changes their anti-Tesla laws.

I see no chance for Texas unless they let Tesla sell cars there first. This would be a good carrot to hang in front of them, but I doubt that it will work.

Having legislation/rules that ban direct sales repealed in exchange for a gigafactory?

With multiple threads discussion how corrupt politicians in TX, OH, MA, NJ, AZ are bribed by big business, it appears to me as a contradiction to hope Tesla will do such a move. Just because most of us think Tesla belongs to the good side and Elon's stated mission is to bring humanity forward, doesn't make such a move less despicable than if it were carried by Big Oil or any NADA branch. C'mon.

I want Tesla to stand on its own merits and place the gigafactory where it makes most sense.

The legislation to ban direct sales has little impact on Tesla's revenue. After all, Texans and Arizonans still can buy this car, and have it serviced. I'd say, Tesla should wait for 2017 (or whenever Model E launches) and wait for the resulting public outrage to take down these laws. No direct involvement required, nor spending $2b of Tesla's cash.

And on the subject of the poll, I think NM has good cards. Nothing to be heard from there, so they apparently prefer to work in silence.

Having legislation/rules that ban direct sales repealed in exchange for a gigafactory?

With multiple threads discussion how corrupt politicians in TX, OH, MA, NJ, AZ are bribed by big business, it appears to me as a contradiction to hope Tesla will do such a move. Just because most of us think Tesla belongs to the good side and Elon's stated mission is to bring humanity forward, doesn't make such a move less despicable than if it were carried by Big Oil or any NADA branch. C'mon.

I want Tesla to stand on its own merits and place the gigafactory where it makes most sense.

The legislation to ban direct sales has little impact on Tesla's revenue. After all, Texans and Arizonans still can buy this car, and have it serviced. I'd say, Tesla should wait for 2017 (or whenever Model E launches) and wait for the resulting public outrage to take down these laws. No direct involvement required, nor spending $2b of Tesla's cash.

And on the subject of the poll, I think NM has good cards. Nothing to be heard from there, so they apparently prefer to work in silence.

I tend to agree, but Texas does have a very large pool of technical workers.

There are many, many pieces to this puzzle.
Trying to tie it only to one facet of current sales structure may be short-sighted.

Tesla has announced there will be two sources of green energy for the gigafactory.
PV and wind turbines.
Texas already is the leader in the latter aspect of energy generation, and has a vast amount of projects under construction and yet to be under construction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_States

400px-U.S._2012_Installed_Wind_Power_Capacity.svg.png

Map illustrating installed wind generating capacity for U.S. states at end of 2012.​

Looking further down the line, I still see Tesla manufacturing the pick-up truck, and a platform for other viable vehicles.
(Reminder: No. 1 selling vehicle is F-150).

In the short term, there will be a lot of train trips to Fremont with built battery packs.

In the long term, I could see both Batteries, battery packs AND pickups manufactured right here.