Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA advice - how to swap a green plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice on the easiest way to get a green plate on my Tesla (on order). I have a car with an original, highly coveted green plate which allows me to operate with only the rear plate. I know that I can transfer the green plates from a car that I am selling. However, I am not selling the car with green plates. How can I transfer it from a registered car to the Tesla and get new red plates for the car that currently has green plates?

I am from MA - what's a green plate?
Green lettered plates were given out from 1977 until about 1988. They were only required on the rear of the vehicle, so they can still be used in that way. This would keep me from having to put a front plate on the car - an obviously valuable option.

They are on about 1 out of 25 cars in MA. Watch for them, and you will start to see some on the road.

Or get EV plates and just don't bother putting the front one on?

I had my front plate mount zip-tied by the Service Center when they delivered it a year ago, but Rick removed it when putting on Opticoat and Expel in December and didn't have time to put it back on when I was picking up the car. I was going to have Watertown do it when I did my annual service a month ago, but they said they're not allowed legally to do a temporary mounting so just gave me the zip-ties. I haven't gotten around to it, and have been driving for 3 months with no front plate. If I'm ever stopped or questioned I'll pull the plate out of the frunk and say it was removed during service and I haven't had a chance to get it put back on. I'll either get off with a warning or a (hopefully minor) fine - then I'll put it on.

I think because the green plates exist (apparently on every 25th car), a car missing the front plate doesn't stand out as much.

I moved to MA in 1992, and registered my 1985 Mitsubishi Starion and got a green plate. I later traded that in for a VW Corrado, and transferred the plate. Later, I bought a BMW 325i and once again transferred the plate.

In 2000, I bought a 1981 Delorean, ordered new plates for the BMW, and transferred the green plate to the Delorean. (Didn't want a front plate on that car). It was really simple. I think all you do is do a transfer and new registration for the existing car. I do think my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) helped me with the proper forms.

But also at one point, I had the Delorean and two other cars. I never ran those other cars with the front plates, and never got pulled over or a ticket for no front plate. YMMV!

I since moved to a different state that also requires front plates, but I don't run with them either. I was sad to loose the MA Green plate on the Delorean. I'm willing to accept the cost of the ticket(s) (if I ever get one) as a "cost of doing business" in exchange for not ruining the front look of these cars, especially the Model S.

But transferring the Green plate to a new or other car is relatively easy. I think MA even allows you to transfer the green plate to a family member.

I moved to MA in 1992, and registered my 1985 Mitsubishi Starion and got a green plate. I later traded that in for a VW Corrado, and transferred the plate. Later, I bought a BMW 325i and once again transferred the plate.

In 2000, I bought a 1981 Delorean, ordered new plates for the BMW, and transferred the green plate to the Delorean. (Didn't want a front plate on that car). It was really simple. I think all you do is do a transfer and new registration for the existing car. I do think my insurance company (Liberty Mutual) helped me with the proper forms.

But also at one point, I had the Delorean and two other cars. I never ran those other cars with the front plates, and never got pulled over or a ticket for no front plate. YMMV!

I since moved to a different state that also requires front plates, but I don't run with them either. I was sad to loose the MA Green plate on the Delorean. I'm willing to accept the cost of the ticket(s) (if I ever get one) as a "cost of doing business" in exchange for not ruining the front look of these cars, especially the Model S.

But transferring the Green plate to a new or other car is relatively easy. I think MA even allows you to transfer the green plate to a family member.
. I have transferred the green plate multiple times. My question was about how to do that and still keep the car I am transferring from. I guess it means re-registering the first car immediately and getting new plates.

I have no idea, I think it depends on the inspection station. The place I went to was around the corner from my house, and they knew me since I took all my cars there for inspection and minor repairs, so when I took my Delorean in for inspection, they often let a few minor things "slide". YMMV.

Thanks. Rather than risk it and possibly be forced to "permanently" attach it, I zip-tied it on beforehand.

I did my usual 13-month approach, taking it to a very close by gas station the morning after my sticker expires, to get the next month's sticker.

Thanks. Rather than risk it and possibly be forced to "permanently" attach it, I zip-tied it on beforehand.

I did my usual 13-month approach, taking it to a very close by gas station the morning after my sticker expires, to get the next month's sticker.

Yeah, I've used the zip-tie before. Also, sometimes I've let the inspection lapse several months (like on the Delorean which I didn't drive that often). The local police in Brookline would sit at the major town intersection looking and ticketing every out-of-inspection car... so when I was out of inspection, I'd always take the "back way" home.