Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luggage in Frunk or Trunk -- any difference in range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading on our first real trip in our Tesla this weekend -- any advantage to putting our luggage in the frunk as opposed to the usual trunk as far as range is concerned? Weight distribution? Better or worse wind resistance if the front is ever so much higher or lower?

I imagine it's not much either way, but, thought I'd ask...

I find my car makes a loud squealing noise when I put the luggage in the trunk rather than the frunk...

...oh wait, that's the kids' screaming from the weight of the luggage.

From a weight distribution perspective, you'd want to put the weight up front (Model S is 48/52 front/rear). There's no range impact, and the handling benefit is would probably only be noticeable on a track. I'd say put your cargo wherever it's most convenient.

Fifteen months with my Model S, and luggage weight or distribution doesn't seem to measurably affect range. However, with heavy luggage in the frunk, the car seems to handle slightly differently when cornering, as would be expected. The extra storage space in the frunk has come in handy on several occasions.

FYI - If you leave the frunk open too long while in a parking lot, folks will think you are broke down, and will come over to "help". It's happened to me on two occasions. Just be prepared for about 15 minutes of Tesla time.

Fifteen months with my Model S, and luggage weight or distribution doesn't seem to measurably affect range. However, with heavy luggage in the frunk, the car seems to handle slightly differently when cornering, as would be expected. The extra storage space in the frunk has come in handy on several occasions.

FYI - If you leave the frunk open too long while in a parking lot, folks will think you are broke down, and will come over to "help". It's happened to me on two occasions. Just be prepared for about 15 minutes of Tesla time.

In slick, winter driving conditions, I try to put the heavy items as far back as possible to put more weight on the drive wheels for traction in snow and ice.

On a related note, i've been wondering about handling/range impacts due to putting a ready-to-mount spare 19" tire (already mounted on a wheel) in the frunk area, for peace of mind if nothing else, on long trips where Rangers are as rare as Strider.

On a related note, i've been wondering about handling/range impacts due to putting a ready-to-mount spare 19" tire (already mounted on a wheel) in the frunk area, for peace of mind if nothing else, on long trips where Rangers are as rare as Strider.

I was in La Jolla a few days ago, and now back in Colorado. 4,500 miles in 16 days.

I decided to go with a good, TPMS compatible, kit from Slime that includes a CLA powered pump.
Amazon.com: Slime Smart Spair Emergency Tire Repair Kit and SLIME Is Slime TPMS safe? For my peace of mind, I carried a spare bottle of Slime and one of the T-handle puncture repair kits. If I can't fix a tire with that, it's tow truck time...

I wouldn't expect a problem in either case. Weight is mostly a problem during stop and go driving and a 19" wheel and tire assembly is something like 1 to 1.5% of the vehicle weight. Just put a bit more air in the tires to compensate (always a good idea on trips anyway).