Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mpt

Electrics are back
Supporting Member
NJ is looking to implement the same anticompetitive legislation to prevent sales of Tesla today in a last minute switch.

The meeting at the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission is open to the public however, I'm not yet totally clear on the proceedings.

TM blog post: Defending Innovation and Consumer Choice in New Jersey | Blog | Tesla Motors

Agenda is at http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/About/03_11_14_Agenda.pdf

I plan to attend to lend support where possible, can anyone here weigh in on what we can do to affect a fair and just outcome?

Just showing up will help.
Spread the word, make sure everyone knows about this. Twitter, Facebook, etc.
If you have any media contacts that would be good too.
If you know of any legislators that are for capitalism and against this anti-competitive concept, make sure they know about this end-around Christie is trying.

Shine the light of day on this.

NJ Call to Action - Tesla Sales Threatened, Need Support

Ireceived this in my email. Join the fight NJ residents! Jersey Strong!

Dear Tesla Advocates,

Tesla is under attack in New Jersey! Yesterday we received news that Governor Christie’s administration has gone back on its word to delay a proposed anti-Tesla regulation so that the matter can be handled in the legislature. Rather than stick up for New Jersey consumers, the Administration and the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission are thwarting the legislature at the behest of a special interest group looking to protect its monopoly at the expense of New Jersey consumers. Instead, the Administration has decided to expedite Rule Proposal PRN2013-138*that would curtail Tesla’s sales operations and jeopardize our existing retail licenses in the state. Tesla could be forced to shutter all operations in the state as early as this afternoon!You can show your support by contacting the*Governor*or your local*State Legislator, and let them know that you want Tesla to stay and grow in New Jersey!Other ways to show support:please join us and other Tesla Advocates at the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s meeting to help defeat this regulation.What:New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission MeetingWhen:Tuesday, March 11th at*2pmWhere:New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission*225 East State Street*Trenton, NJ 08608Spread the word, and thank you for your immediate action!

Wait. So let me get this straight....

- The elected leaders are going beyond their authority by trying to change legislation outside of the legislative process for a special interest group.
- Unlike just about EVERY OTHER PRODUCT SOLD, they're saying Tesla has to use a middle man who really are just getting a cut and not adding value (particularly in relation to educating prospective buyers about EVs).
- This is happening in what should be a democratic environment?
- This is legit?

Wow. Just wow.

Yep. Corrupt NJ. Admin & dealership monopolies expedited this to this afternoon in an attempt to immediate shut down all Tesla sales and retail operations in NJ.

buveju4a.jpg

I emailed our Gov's office early a.m.; also called and spoke w/ one of his aides concerning this issue. Called my Senator's office - they searched and knew nothing of the bill, but said this may be something involving DMV that doesn't need to be presented via the regular legislative process - how corrupt. Wish I could make it at 2pm, but cannot.

Gov Christie's Office: (609) 777-2500 - best method, please take a minute to call!

Email via website: http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/

Last edited:
Tesla Blog Post online now: Defending Innovation and Consumer Choice in New Jersey | Blog | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

A great way to spread the word is to search Facebook for all your friends that live in NJ and tag them in a status update with a link to the Tesla Blog and a link to contact the Governor. Simply search at the top of the Desktop version of Facebook for "My friends that live in New Jersey". I find that this method gets plenty of attention.

Tesla is under attack in New Jersey!

Tesla is under attack in New Jersey! Yesterday we received news that Governor Christie’s administration has gone back on its word to delay a proposed anti-Tesla regulation so that the matter can be handled in the legislature. Rather than stick up for New Jersey consumers, the Administration and the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission are thwarting the legislature at the behest of a special interest group looking to protect its monopoly at the expense of New Jersey consumers. Instead, the Administration has decided to expedite Rule Proposal PRN 2013-138 that would curtail Tesla’s sales operations and jeopardize our existing retail licenses in the state. Tesla could be forced to shutter all operations in the state as early as this afternoon!

You can show your support by contacting the Governor or your local State Legislator, and let them know that you want Tesla to stay and grow in New Jersey!

Other ways to show support:

Please join us and other Tesla Advocates at the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission’s meeting to help defeat this regulation.

What:New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Meeting

When:Tuesday, March 11th at 2pm

Where:New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission

225 East State Street

Trenton, NJ 08608

Absolutely rediculous. If the dealership model is the best way to sell cars and "protects consumers" (haha) then it should have no problem at all from competition from the direct sales model. Instead they are using state legislatures and governor's offices to try force their will on car companies - very antithetical towards free market principles. These kind of actions are going to just accelerate the decline of the dealership model rather than protecting it, by outraging consumers and taxpayers which will eventually turn into votes for politicians that are less friendly to dealerships in the future. This is a really dumb move strategically in the long term for dealership associations, but I suppose it works in the short term.