Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Florida Keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any owners of Tesla that will allow charging in the Keys? The last known charging station appears to be in Marathon FL

Check PlugShare, I have a condo in Key Largo with a 240v plug just outside. It is a gated community so you need to let me know if you are needing it. You can leave $10 at the gatehouse and use the plug if you make arrangments with me ahead of time.
Good Luck
we are 96 miles from Key West

There are 3 RV parks listed on the RVParky app right on Key West (and several others all along the way from Marathon to Key West). All 3 list 50 amp availability. If planning to use a park, always wise to call first. Not all will allow you to charge a car...

Are there any owners of Tesla that will allow charging in the Keys? The last known charging station appears to be in Marathon FL

Hi Kenneth,

In addition to Mark (Mnlevin) we have one other club member participating in our Club Charging Network that has a home in Key Largo. I have your membership request and I am processing it. If you are interested in joining our network and sharing your home charging source with other participating traveling club members, please let me know at [email protected]. I will need to know your home charging source i.e. NEMA 14-50, HPWC, etc. I will also need to know your preferred contact phone number and will need a remark discussing charging source availability, such as "Gated community, please call in advance."

In addition, our club has donated to the installation of a HPWC at Mote Marine Laboratories in Key West. We expect that in the next few days it will become operational. When it is I will notify our club membership of the details via email.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly via email.

Regards,

Larry

Larry, that's great news about Mote. Do we know what the terms will be for use of its HPWC?

Hi Rodolfo,

I haven't received anything official from Mote yet, but we expect that a donation box will be placed nearby to accept voluntary contributions to offset power usage costs. As you know Mote is a non-profit research organization.

Larry

The Marriott Fairfield Inn (Key West) only has 120 volt outlets for charging small electric cars. We were there Monday and had to cancel our reservation. This time of year the RV parks in Key West are full and don't want to mess with charging cars

We charged at Coconut Cay Resort on the way down.

Thankfully we had enough charge to make it back to Miami.

Charging in the Keys is still iffy at this point.

I enjoyed the trip. My wife not so much.

Roland

Last edited:
My dear wife always fills her gas tank between 1/2 and 1/4 full. She had range anxiety on the trip.

Hoping to take her up the East Coast Supercharger Route to S. Carolina. That may change her attitude towards electric cars or we'll just take her Lexus.

Roland

My dear wife always fills her gas tank between 1/2 and 1/4 full. She had range anxiety on the trip.

Hoping to take her up the East Coast Supercharger Route to S. Carolina. That may change her attitude towards electric cars or we'll just take her Lexus.

Roland

Get her a good meal at Clark's at the Santee SC Supercharger. That should help!

Roland

Roland,

Is Kim's concern strictly range anxiety? That is something that is easily mitigated as she sees that the car consistently has range to spare.

However, if she has reservations about spending time at a Supercharger that might be a more serious issue. How does she feel about shopping or dining at malls while the car charges?

Larry

Larry,

My mistake was taking Kim on a non Supercharger trip first. I'm hoping to be able to talk her into a trip to Greenville, South Carolina. Will have Superchargers all the way and a 30amp charger one mile from our hotel.

I have the patience in our family. So we will see how she does waiting at the Superchargers. Found it quite enjoyable talking to other Tesla owners at the Superchargers. If going on a long road trip I can't eat as often as my Model S needs electrons.

Roland

I just found out about a HPWC installed in Key West that is free for the public!

The charging station is at the south end of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary's Eco-Discovery Center.
http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/eco_discovery.html . Right now there is no cost to use the charger but that may change in the future. In the meantime, a donation to help support the Eco-Discovery Center is appreciated (per the manager of the Center, Craig Wanous).

Map.jpg
Satellite Map.jpg
TESLA & Sign.jpg