Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Bill 2014 HB 19 exempts charging stations from being classified as a utility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and this is important. Many states treat any entity buying power for resale as a utility, subject to the intense oversight of the state's utility commission: rate hearings, etc. Imagine, if you will, that anyone selling bottled water was treated as a water utility. What a nightmare! So this is a good step for Utah.

The California PUC had a ruling with the same effect. But I loved the language they used... "Fueling an Electric Vehicle does not constitute selling electricity."

When you think about it, charging an EV is really using the electricity to effect a chemical reaction. Battery discharge is a chemical reaction which produces an electric potential and current.

This kind of regulatory issue is why you see Blink charge by the kWh in some states and by the hour in others. If they're charging by the hour, they have a colorable case that they're not selling energy. Selling kWhs, however, is clearly selling energy, which can entangle them in certain state's utility regulations. Hence Utah's change.

Vermont has had at least one charging station removed because the owner wanted to charge for the electricity but couldn't. It was actually owned by a utility but they were not allowed to have a different rate structure that wasn't approved by the PUC. It was in a good location, too, and I used it on a few occasions. All the other chargers that I know of in VT are free except for one that charges by the hour to park in front of it.