Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do while waiting for Elon's "something special for Roadster owners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be a long wait, so here are some cheap/easy upgrades to tide you over:

1) Leather wrapped door pulls. You can order these from Tesla for about $90 - way better than the aluminum ones and really easy to install:
DoorHandle.jpg

2) Wrap your center console with a CF print for under $40 and have material left over. I used this one from Amazon:
CenterWrappedCloser.jpg

3) Get an OVMS for about $130:
OVMS.jpg

4) Upgrade your headlights. Lots of options, from under $100 for a DDM kit to over $2500 for HIDs from Tesla.
Headlights.jpg

5) Get your door panels and front hood custom wrapped with clear armour. The factory stuff is a kit that leaves annoying lines - they may not bother you, but once you get it done right you'll not tolerate them again. Prices vary, can get expensive, but worth it:
NoHoodLine.jpg

NoDoorLine.jpg

6) Remove the ugly Tesla aluminum sill panel:
NoSillPanel.jpg

7) Upgrade your brake pads to Carbotech. This one is still on my list to do.

8) Trunk LED strip light:
View attachment 3317

Got others to share? Add them to the thread!

Last edited:
You could also upgrade your head unit to a Parrot Asteroid, replace the stock speakers with some Morels, add a couple of Rockford Fosgate motorcycle amps, add a wireless aircard for 24 /7 internet service, and install a blackvue dash cam system...

I had done:

1. change the driver's side mirror to european spec mirrors. Help a lot with the blindspot.

2. sound deadening materials like dynamat installed on floor, behind the seats, door, etc.

3. phone dash mount - I know, its sooo simple, but hook that puppy up via bluetooth and you got the best nav in the world.

4. dash camera - got tired of people backing into me and claiming innocence.

5. did the CF wrap on door sill. Not very proud of my own workmanship but it looks better and I'm not worried about scuff marks.

6. mud guard thingie under the door to keep road grime away. Very significant improvement.

I'm a cheap dude, the most expensive item here was the sound deadening foam. Had a local guy install that for $600. Materials themselves were like $100 I think.

Curved mirrors just like the one on passenger's side. It was ordered and installed by Tesla service center.

Its technically illegal because it doesn't have the words, "objects are closer than they appear" on the mirror itself.

Any info on the european spec mirrors???

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thread regarding the mud. Read backwards, more informative. And if I remember correctly, there are some pictures in there.

Mud on the Door Sills

And what is a "mud guard thingie under the door"? Any pics?

asgard and I did a very good job installing sound deadening in my Roadster. Took a full weekend, but i'm almost positive it came out better than the Tesla option as we used both dynamat and dynaliner.

We took apart the doors and entire interior besides the dash. We are still planing on doing the pan and wheel wells, potentially the hardtop. I'll get around to posting photos soon.

We have also started up on the carbon fiber fab again. Stay tuned, we expect to get some good parts this time around.

Did they change just the mirror glas itself or the whole outer shell of the mirror as well?

Curved mirrors just like the one on passenger's side. It was ordered and installed by Tesla service center.

Its technically illegal because it doesn't have the words, "objects are closer than they appear" on the mirror itself.

I had my rear spoiler wrapped in good quality CF foil. Will be interesting to see, if it still looks good, when it's finally on the car.
2014-03-13 09.51.51.jpg

The auto mechanic I go to happens to have a relative that does body shop work so I let him do the sound deadening install. He said he's done it before on other cars, although never a Tesla.

Its best to let someone who's either a)knows Tesla/Lotus fairly well or b)you trust is real careful. If one's careless about this sort of thing, they tend to break clips and stuff. Nothing horrible, just annoying stuff. I think my guy cracked my door sill. I didn't notice it until I took the thing apart and did the CF wrap on it. Now, its easy to crack it since the velcro can be super strong. Or maybe I cracked it myself when I ripped it off, who knows. Its stuff like that.

As for the effect, running over bumps sound much more solid. Road noise is diminished noticeably (not a quiet car by any means). Cold toes is reduced considerably during winter (and seattle winter is rather mild). Tesla uses Dynamat, I used RAAM Audio.

I'd also love to hear more about the sound deadening. . . Was it easy to find someone? How long did it take? How significant was the improvement? I'm a SUPER cheap dude too - so it intrigues me that you made all these updates for seemingly on the cheap. Great work.

- - - Updated - - -

It was just the mirror glass itself. That's why it was cheap. Well, if you call $70 or so cheap.

Did they change just the mirror glas itself or the whole outer shell of the mirror as well?