Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only driven my own car so I don't know if this is normal but I've always thought the brake pedal has too much play in it... If I lift my foot off of the pedal quickly enough I get a small rattle sound as the pedal bounces... I don't mean the hydraulics but the pedal itself seems "loose" right around its neutral position...

Does anyone else notice this?

Pat

Yes I have this too (early sig VIN 912). Its mildly annoying but I haven't mentioned it to service. Please post what you find out they say. Probably I should mentioned it next time I visit the SC; they have been excellent about addressing seriously every issue I've brought up.

I've only driven my own car so I don't know if this is normal but I've always thought the brake pedal has too much play in it... If I lift my foot off of the pedal quickly enough I get a small rattle sound as the pedal bounces... I don't mean the hydraulics but the pedal itself seems "loose" right around its neutral position...

Pat

Tesla service is just amazing. I hesitate to post this because I don't want to create unreasonable expectations of them, but: Shortly after posting this question yesterday I was contacted by Tesla service and they asked if they could take a look at the car. They ended up putting a small shim on the pedal to get rid of the rattle that I was experiencing. They said that there is always a little sound at the end of the pedal range because there is a switch in the pedal, however they agreed that mine was loose and jiggling a bit so they made the correction. There is still a small thump when you take your foot off of the pedal but it's in the range where it seems normal now.. I actually feel bad for making them go through this effort for something so small, but it just shows how dedicated Tesla is to service that they asked.

Agree--that is one thing that puts Tesla far above other car companies. It's awesome that they watch these forums.

By the way, I have not noticed this issue, but I'll play close attention the next time I use the brakes (in the next 50 miles or so...hehe :).

Pat

YES, thank you for bringing this up!

I showed/demo'd this for my service center manager some months ago but nothing came of it so I'm glad there's finally a fix. Compared to the fully silent brake linkage on our BMW 335i, this "clack/clack/clack" of the pedal on the Model S has become a pain.

Please keep us posted!

Sincerely,

Mark
P12195

Ok, in for service today when Tesla read this forum and proactively called me to schedule the visit. Technician duplicated the problem and disassembled the brake pedal and pivot. He said the noise comes from slop between the pin and pedal assembly. He also said it's the same on almost every car and is starting to hear more complaints. Nothing was worn or unsafe but not up to high end buyers expectations.

He put some thick grease on it and reassembled. He will email the factory pictures he took and opened a problem case. Told me the grease would at best be temporary and will talk more with engineering.

So yes we awe listened to when we bring issues like this. Fortunately the Portland SC people have all been attentive and thorough with my issues; never blew it off but wrote careful notes and opened case files for factory review.

... Shortly after posting this question yesterday I was contacted by Tesla service and they asked if they could take a look at the car...

... Tesla read this forum and proactively called me to schedule the visit...

OK, I have seen these kind of comments elsewhere too, and am super curious - how does Tesla figure out who you are to be able to contact you, based on your post here?

From my SA today regarding my service visit yesterday: "pls advise the customer that Engineering is very much aware that improvement is needed in this area and we are currently working on a solution. We don't have a time frame yet for this but we'll advise the Service teams when we have something". OK, no one should hold their breath here but at least it appears to be on the "to do" list at Tesla.

Reviving this old thread. I have a new Model S, picked it up just a few weeks ago, and it has the same problem described in this thread - too much "play" in the brake pedal, with a noise every time you depress or let up on the brake pedal. I love my Tesla but it's a bummer to have this issue with a brand-new car. Others with this issue, were you able to get it fixed?