Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbotech Brake compound thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
After hearing a loud scraping sound with braking that had been only occasional and seemingly only when there was heavy snow caked around the wheels become to a nearly constant sound with braking, I had the opportunity to look at my wheels in the bright sun this weekend. I discovered a missing brake pad in the rear passenger side and a very gouged/scraped up rotor. I had intended to switch to a more aggressive brake pad when I replaced my pads, and the time is suddenly now. I had intended to go with Carbotech AX6, because everyone on the forum seems to be enthusiastic. However, when I called Carbotech, they tried to dissuade me and get me to go with the 1521. They said the 1521's had less dust and very nice stopping power, and they noted the AX6 squeaked a lot, even with light braking. The Carbotech rep said that the people running AX6 were most likely doing Autocross or racing on a track or that sort of thing.

Looking at the forum posts, the only person I saw mentioning the 1521's was running them on a Model S.

My big concern in VT is "the deer jumped out in the road in front of me" scenario, so I really want a short stopping profile. The Carbotech guy said they run the 1521's on all their personal vehicles and he has had to do panic stops, pulled into the break down lane and had 1.5 cars blow past him as they tried to stop, as he emphasized the stopping power of the 1521's. He said the AX6 probably has "twice" the stopping power, but he went back to the dust and squeal as reasons that he thought I would not want to go there.

I found the OEM brakes plenty dusty, so that probably isn't a big deal. I wondered what people's thoughts were on the 1521 versus AX6 compounds. How squeaky is squeaky? How much dust do AX6's really make compared to the OEMs and how do the 1521's stop the car compared to the OEM. I have a call in to Tesla to find out just what the OEM pads/compound is so that the Carbotech guy can try to give me an assessment of how they all compare, but if any one knows what the OEM on a 2.5 Roadster Sport is, that would be great to know too!

Thanks!

David Jones
Jericho, VT

I'll have to disagree with Carbotech, my AX6 pads almost never squeak. In fact, they're far, far, FAR better than the original OEM pads in this respect. They also have the added advantage of reliably stopping the car, unlike the stock pads.

I'm sure the 1521 is just fine, but I can't recommend them because I haven't tried them. I do know the AX6 is awesome. And I mean for daily driving, not just autocross.

Still happy with the AX6's. I don't have any issue with the dust. The only time I heard them squeal was during the initial bed-in process and also when I really was pushing the Roadster fast and hard into tight 120 degree turns and S's for a long time. I was hammering the brakes hard at the last possible second. I have close to 20k on the brakes and wouldn't run anything else.

I'd put up with a little dust and a squeal now and then to save myself as well as the nose of the Roadster. Every split-second and inch matters when you need to stop! So why not get the best pad for that? The Roadster in my opinion under-spec'd since its using the same braking components as the Elise but weighs more. Best way to counteract that flaw is to get the stickiest pads possible.

Carbotech pads

Will Tesla install them if you bring them to a service center? Imagine any qualified shop of course could do it as well.

No, our local Tesla SC outside Boston said no aftermarket products, but they are conveniently enough going to be in my area on Friday and said they would bring up a set of calipers, rotors and necessary parts so that my local performance shop could do the work. The Ranger would even take a look and given an opinion on whether the rotor and calipers should be replaced.

I am probably going with the AX6 as it sounds like the squeaking isn't an issue.

Thanks to all who have responded and any yet to respond!

DJ

Reactions: EVChris
Will Tesla install them if you bring them to a service center? Imagine any qualified shop of course could do it as well.

Yes, changing brake pads easy peasy. The only thing we ran into was lacking the gadget for spinning the rear pistons back in. Borrowed a set of cubes but none of them fit. In the end I just grabbed a big old pair of needle nose pliers and stuffed the ends in the holes and turned the handles. Worked great.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/maintenance/newpads/index.html

pliertwist.jpg

Dave sorry to hear you have to replace your rotors. Hopefully not the calipers. I was surprised at how fast my inside rear pads wore out, like yours. I caught them just before I was metal to metal. The outside pads still had 1/8 inch on them so it took me by surprise. The AX6 are wearing faster on the inside too.

I haven't tried the 1521's but I have the AX6 on all 4 wheels. They never squeak. They make a lot less dust than the stock pads. When your rotors get a thin layer of rust the AX6 cleans them off a lot easier than the stock pads. They lose a little grip in extreme cold like we've had this winter but they're still way stronger than stock. Be sure to tell Carbotech that you heard about them on TMC. They gave me a small discount for that. Let us know what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I just remembered - be sure to use the anti-squeal compound behind the pads when you have them installed. I used the orange stuff pictured earlier in this thread. I have more than I can use in my lifetime so let me know if you want some.

AX6 are better than stock, especially on that 1st use each day. I used to do a deliberate emergency stop each journey at the end of my drive to get the stock pads to work. No need with the AX6. Not tried 1521 so they could be as good / better though (could also be worse)

has anyone tried the EBC pads?

I run the EBC slotted rotors and green stuff brakes on my 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel truck. I upgraded the brake rotors to the larger 2003+ generation brakes, the 2001 and earlier generation brakes are dangerously bad like the Roadster and fade when you need them. I haul my jeep or my jeep loaded up on a trailer while having my full size truck camper on the bed loaded up as well so I need the stopping power for my own safety and the safety of others on the road. Night and day difference. I originally was going to do the EBC route on the Roadster but when the brake thread was started the autocross members voiced in saying how well the CarboTech pads are, so I went that route after talking to a CarboTech rep. I'm sure the EBCs are better than stock but I don't think they'll be able to compare to the CarboTech's let alone the AX6s.