Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EMF (Eletromagnetic field) in Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Some concerns have been raised about possible effect of the electromagnetic field in EV (or hybrid).
I'm driving a Model S since one week (what a fantastic car, probably the best !) and together with a colleague, we did some tests.

Our questions were:

1- what is the maximum value of the Electromagnetic field (EMF) when the car is parked?
2- what is the maximum value of the Electromagnetic field (EMF) when we press the pedal?
3- is there a big difference with conventional car?

Here is the situation:

- A Tesla Model S (2014), 85 KW, Tech Package, Pano, Black Leather,Sunroof.
- Measurement devices: Gigahertz-solutions NFA1000 + Gigahertz-solutions NF59B+ filter FF6

Test findings:

To conduct our tests, we used a EMF meter from Gigahertz Solutions.

1nT = 1 x 10-9 T

1- Maximum value when the car is ON and parked: 20 nT
2- Maximum value during acceleration: 800 nT
3- Difference with conventional car: I found some test findings on the internet.

Examples: 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman: 300 nT
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt: 3000 nT
In the most terrible: BMW 5 : 7000 nT

Conclusion: The test is very basic and I'm sure I can do much more on this.
We can imagine several other scenarii and put this in a technical report.
At this first stage, I found no evidence that Tesla Model S exposes the people inside to significantly more EMF than do conventional car.
In some case, it's the opposite. The Model S is very well shielded (for many reasons).

By the way, pleae note that like most modern cars, WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G are very active...but it's a different subject.

Thanks to Tesla engineers !

Geoffrey

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Just searching on titles only in Model S (plenty in the Roadster forum): EMF Radiation

There is also plenty of discussion in various threads.

Good to see some definitive measures against existing ICE vehicles. I'll bookmark this thread and use it when the question comes up (and it always comes up again) in the main forum.

g'day
Geoffrey

find below a typical EMF-pattern in the 0.2-2kHz range as recorded with a model-S;
although the spikes seem scary, these are rather modest compared to the EMF-spectra within a passenger-cabin of an electrically powered train;

ciao
Piero

Model-S EMF-pattern.jpg

En dan ook nog zo'n onzinnig onderwerp. ;)

Aardmagnetisch veld in midden Europa: 4,8 × 10−5 T, voor de slechte rekenaars onder ons: dat is 48000 nT. Iets meer dan waarover wordt gezeurd dus.

Geweldige prestatie van de Tesla ingenieurs dus. Ook van de BMW ingenieurs trouwens. :p

Reactions: Mad P***y
En dan ook nog zo'n onzinnig onderwerp. ;)

Aardmagnetisch veld in midden Europa: 4,8 × 10−5 T, voor de slechte rekenaars onder ons: dat is 48000 nT. Iets meer dan waarover wordt gezeurd dus.

Geweldige prestatie van de Tesla ingenieurs dus. Ook van de BMW ingenieurs trouwens. :p
Waarom komt dat aardmagnetisch veld dan niet terug in de metingen bij die auto’s ?
Of zijn die metingen van de auto’s op Mars gedaan, daar schijnt geen magnetisch veld te zijn.

Bovendien zullen ze de elektrische component gemeten hebben, en niet de magnetische.

Maar hebben ze al eens gemeten in de buurt van een MRI scanner? 5 T bij een beetje moderne scanner, dat is in de ordegrootte van 10^6 meer.

Het is echt volstrekt irrelevant en van nul en generlei wetenschappelijke waarde.

Reactions: Superendo
I'm going through hell with my sister-in-law scaring my wife to death about the EMFs and "dirt electricity" there will be in the Model 3 we have on order. Trying to shame me by saying that I don't care about my wife's health and making my wife promise that she won't ride in the car with me. It doesn't do any good to tell her that her Honda Civic makes about 258 pounds of CO2 from every tank of gas. I'm fit to be tied!

• Funny
Reactions: ramonneke
I really feel sorry for you. The ridiculousness is beyond words. Your sister in law does not have a connected house I presume? She does not understand that her Honda Civic also uses an alternator and a battery?

Let her dig up scientifically proven evidence that electricity/EMF is harmful. I bet she cannot find that, mind the scientifically proven in the sentence. Double blind testing, repeatable, peer reviewed and so forth.

I'll translate some Dutch text I wrote before:

Everywhere is a magnetic field, only Mars does not have its own magnetic field. If your sister in law is consistent, she should not use an MRI scanner, this uses a magnetic field in the order of 5 T (and is considered to be completely harmless), which is a factor of 10^6, i.e. a million times stronger than the fields she will be experiencing in the car, which are in the same magnitude as the earth's magnetic field.

Completely ridiculous.

Last edited: