Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99 KWh Battery?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

traxila

Supporting Member
Nov 25, 2012
NYC
Was at the Tesla Store today at Roosevelt Field Mall. Salesperson there pointed out graphic on electric cost to charge the battery. The slider had previously gone up to 85. But after latest update it now goes to 99! I think this might be the answer to the Model X range issue. I am stoked.:love:

It's the charging (in)efficiency. Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

120V, 12A: 132.6 kWh (30% more power used, big penalty)
240V, 24A: 100.8 kWh
240V, 40A: 99.0 kWh
240V, 80A (dual charger): 98.7 kWh

Goes to show that any 240v charge rate is pretty efficient but any 120v charge rate is very inefficient. I just didn't realize the penalty was 30% more power used.

It also shows that dual chargers are faster but not significantly more efficient. After looking at that I'm still good with a single charger, save the money you would pay for a HPWC and put it into the better tires (3% more range) and pocket the difference in cost.

Actually, if you follow the sequence, 60 to 85, then the next battery should be a 110! :wink:

If they considered a 40, 60, 85 lineup maybe the jump is gross with more and more buffer in the larger batteries for a smaller net jump. Maybe the next one would be 100 after all.

40 - 60 - 85 - 100
40 - 60 - 85 - 105
40 - 60 - 85 - 110

which looks like the normal progression to you?

I suppose the 110 goes with the whole "goes to 11" meme.

...It also shows that dual chargers are faster but not significantly more efficient. After looking at that I'm still good with a single charger, save the money you would pay for a HPWC and put it into the better tires (3% more range) and pocket the difference in cost.

if for no other reason I would seriously consider going with the twin chargers for resale value. Also, the high amperage level 2 stations that the twin chargers need, are less common where you are, but that is likely to change quickly. After owning EV's for just a couple of years, I have never regretted spending more money up front for faster charging, it's not how often you use it, it's how critical it is when you need it most. sitting around for twice as long waiting for the car to charge is lame. you can request the twin chargers without buying the HPWC.

120V, 12A: 132.6 kWh (30% more power used, big penalty)
240V, 24A: 100.8 kWh
240V, 40A: 99.0 kWh
240V, 80A (dual charger): 98.7 kWh

Goes to show that any 240v charge rate is pretty efficient but any 120v charge rate is very inefficient. I just didn't realize the penalty was 30% more power used.

It also shows that dual chargers are faster but not significantly more efficient. After looking at that I'm still good with a single charger, save the money you would pay for a HPWC and put it into the better tires (3% more range) and pocket the difference in cost.

It's not that the charging is inefficient but rather that it takes FOREVER and all the systems have to stay up and running and on while the charging is taking place. Since charging at 120V 12A takes forever, it's all the other electronics staying on that is eating up the juice and thus requiring a longer time to actually top off the battery to full.

If they considered a 40, 60, 85 lineup maybe the jump is gross with more and more buffer in the larger batteries for a smaller net jump. Maybe the next one would be 100 after all.

40 - 60 - 85 - 100
40 - 60 - 85 - 105
40 - 60 - 85 - 110

which looks like the normal progression to you?

If you go by percentage increase, 40 to 60 is a 50% increase, 60 to 85 is about 50%, and the next jump would be more like 120 kWh.

Actually 60 to 85 is 1.4, and to 120 is comparable to that jump. So, 40 (now gone) - 60 - 85 - 120.

Last edited:
(LMB spouse)

Engineers like round numbers, and 1.414... is a round number to an engineer. Specifically, it's half a binary order of magnitude. So, I always assumed that the next battery would be 120 kWhr and the one after that would be 170 kWhr and the one after that...

Assuming that a 120 kWhr battery weighs about the same as today's 85 kWhr unit, [US] ideal and rated ranges would be around 420 and 375 miles!