Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed Test – Tesla Model S P85 Gets Driven on the Autobahn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The power limiter kicks in awfully early, don't you think? Especially given the relatively high SOC and the few miles driven since charging.

Power limiting would most likely be due to the motor getting hot.

IMO, this is the most glaring weakness of Model S. For a car of its performance, not being able to thrash it around a track (or similarly-suited high-speed zone) for more than a few minutes is a real annoyance. Kind of makes it seem like a bit of a pretender; it's quick off the line but work it a bit and it gives up pretty fast.

Power limiting would most likely be due to the motor getting hot.

IMO, this is the most glaring weakness of Model S. For a car of its performance, not being able to thrash it around a track (or similarly-suited high-speed zone) for more than a few minutes is a real annoyance. Kind of makes it seem like a bit of a pretender; it's quick off the line but work it a bit and it gives up pretty fast.

As an AC induction motor gets higher in RPMs the total power output will fall off. This could be true power limiting at such high RPMs as well. Although it does seem to recover in the video without a loss in speed. So temperature could also be a factor.

It is a weakness but one that only concerns a very small fraction of the potential market for the car. Considering an EV is a mass market consumer product it's not an obstacle to mass acceptance.

Agreed. This is just not safe.

But anyway that claim won't last forever. Just statistics.
BTW Tesla boast that an High Performance Upgrade will be available ; specifically designed for... the Autobahn.

We just have to be prepared to hear very bad news one day.

Exactly! Because after I drop my spouse at work and my three kids at school (easily weaving in and out of traffic - where the advantages of acceleration are clear to even the slowest witted human), head to Home Depot to pick up the new toilet and pedestal sink I've had on order for the bathroom, along with a few boxes of tile, a bucket of grout, varies tools for the job and 6 shrubs for the backyard and put them in the back, then head over to the grocery store and put my food stuffs in the frunk, I ALWAYS then head over to the racetrack where I meet up with ALL my racing buddies. I mean, that's what EVERYONE on the planet does, right? And that's what EVERY luxury sedan car ever made was meant to do - carry up to 7 people, carry as much cargo as a pickup truck, and be able to eat up the track and spit it out. Oh, and not cost $100 to fuel. For sure, the Model S is a HUGE disappointment and entirely useless vehicle.

Exactly! Because after I drop my spouse at work and my three kids at school (easily weaving in and out of traffic - where the advantages of acceleration are clear to even the slowest witted human), head to Home Depot to pick up the new toilet and pedestal sink I've had on order for the bathroom, along with a few boxes of tile, a bucket of grout, varies tools for the job and 6 shrubs for the backyard and put them in the back, then head over to the grocery store and put my food stuffs in the frunk, I ALWAYS then head over to the racetrack where I meet up with ALL my racing buddies. I mean, that's what EVERYONE on the planet does, right? And that's what EVERY luxury sedan car ever made was meant to do - carry up to 7 people, carry as much cargo as a pickup truck, and be able to eat up the track and spit it out. Oh, and not cost $100 to fuel. For sure, the Model S is a HUGE disappointment and entirely useless vehicle.

Agreed, I have a $7200 (brand new out the door) GSX-R 750 for any track shennanigans and it still manages 26mpg when hitting 175mph down the back straight of Virginia International Raceway full course. The Model S's wheelhouse isn't the track along with a LOT of other cars in its class. If I wanted a track car that I could daily drive I would have gotten a M5 hands down but I realized a long time ago that tracking my daily driver is a HORRIBLE idea and leads to lots of additional maintenance, downtime, broken bits, cost, and aggrivation.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was an electric Subaru Outback. :rolleyes:

Don't know about yours, but my Tesla has over 400HP, a 0-60 time of just over 4 seconds, 21-inch wheels with Ultra High Performance tires, etc, etc. All of these check boxes point to the car having performance aspirations. The P85+ is even modeled on the McLaren MP4-12C. But it's all posturing and trying to look the part, because it falls flat on the follow-through.

One of the things that attracted me to Model S is that it can do all of these things well. It can haul 7 people, it can make a run to Home Depot and not bat an eye. It also looks great and it's pretty darn fast too. However, Tesla needs to work on its stamina, IMO.

Don't know about yours, but my Tesla has over 400HP, a 0-60 time of just over 4 seconds, 21-inch wheels with Ultra High Performance tires, etc, etc. All of these check boxes point to the car having performance aspirations. The P85+ is even modeled on the McLaren MP4-12C. But it's all posturing and trying to look the part, because it falls flat on the follow-through.

Many of the things you claim as posturing for performance are simply the result of being an all-electric car. Perhaps Tesla should have inhibited the instant torque and hp capabilities of its electric motor so that you aren't confused about whether it's a luxury sedan or a race car? Interestingly enough, it's also because it's an all-electric car that allows it to carry 7 people and half of Home Depot, while having instant torque and a herd of horses by designing the battery pack to be flat like a mattress, rather than square like a stove, and then sticking it on the bottom of the car instead of on the roof, giving the Model S the added bonus of great handling characteristics. Still, most of us are well aware that Model S is firstly a luxury sedan suited to families and family activities, not a race car.

However, Tesla needs to work on its stamina.

Again, because we all take our family sedans to the track every weekend with the intent to race Tony Stewart in whatever specialty race car he's pulled out of the garage. I imagine Model S will never be changed in a manner to suit your racing needs, since that's not why it exists in the first place. Perhaps the next generation of the Roadster will be more to your liking. You can put a bumper hitch on it, customize a trailer with additional seating and storage, and pull it behind you.

Agreed. This is just not safe.

But anyway that claim won't last forever. Just statistics.
BTW Tesla boast that an High Performance Upgrade will be available ; specifically designed for... the Autobahn.

We just have to be prepared to hear very bad news one day.

Hope the assistant driver package be ready as soon as possible and before the High Performance Upgrade for this reason.

Wow. Driving 130mph in the rain. Around a bend too.

AND it is March, and probably a pretty cold day in Germany.

So, let's wait until July or August, when the weather is much warmer, wash the car, take out all removable weight e.g. parcel shelf & power charging cables, go out on a nice dry day and try the same thing again. (and on a straight)

I bet the top speed of the car will be higher than 212km/h.

AND it is March, and probably a pretty cold day in Germany.

So, let's wait until July or August, when the weather is much warmer, wash the car, take out all removable weight e.g. parcel shelf & power charging cables, go out on a nice dry day and try the same thing again. (and on a straight)

I bet the top speed of the car will be higher than 212km/h.

It is not going to change anything. The Tesla's performance is pathetic above 160kph. My girl friends 140 hp VW Golf can do better than this.