Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open the MC120 connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveD

EVs Kick Gas!
Aug 18, 2007
Redmond, WA
Moderator's Note: This thread was started by scott451 below, but I moved in a few posts that seemed to be along the same lines.
-----------------

:eek: 600 bucks for an extension cord??? I can understand a fair markup ... but this couldn't have cost more than $50 to make...

You tell me where I can get just the twist-lock connector that mates to the Roadster for $50, and I'd be happy to buy a bunch of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just that plug that goes in the car. Can anyone who has one post the manufacture info here? Maybe we can find a supplier.

That would be great but I have my doubts. Even Martin Eberhard does not have a source for them and has stated that the only way to get one is to buy one of Tesla's charge adapters.

Lets say, hypothetically, you wanted to get an MC120 and turn it into an MC240... Along with the pilot signal electronics in a new box, you would also need to put heavier gauge wire on the Tesla end. That would involve opening up the Tesla connector and boring it out and putting in larger wires.

I asked someone who basically did this, and got this response:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]...I wouldn't wish the modification of that Tesla connector on anybody (it's almost as bad as rebuilding a small engine). The project takes about 10 hours from start to finish, and a lot of specialized tools are needed. A certain amount of damage to the connector is unavoidable (I filed away burrs that would cut into the wires and epoxied a broken plastic slider, but I was unable to fix a shredded O-ring that keeps water from getting into the inner housing). Too bad there isn't some way to buy Tesla connectors with 10-gauge wires, ground, and signal lines already attached. Then it would be a piece of cake!

[/FONT]

Since the idea here appears to be to build one's own charging cables, I wonder if there is another way besides repurposing the Tesla connector from the MC120.

The early EPs used the same connector as the ACP eBox. Even though they've updated it a bit, the pins appear the same. Is it possible to get ahold of the mate to this eBox connector?

ACP eBox charge connector

Roadster EP2

Current connector style.

Also, before this current plug, we used to see something less elegant, but it got the job done. These days some show up in photos from Europe, where they likely still have to use some hand-built charging cables.

Is there a source for that more kludgy connector?

Last edited:
Moderator's Note: This thread was started by scott451 below, but I moved in a few posts that seemed to be along the same lines.

By the way, people sometimes say "post below" or "post above" and it is almost always backwards for me. One of the forum options is to view in reverse order (newest post at the top) which is the way I have always had my preferences set.

In UserCP ... options ... Thread Display Mode ... Here you can choose the display mode for threads. ... Thread Display Mode: Linear - Newest First

Last edited:
That's a great idea trying to find the old klugy Tesla plug. I have heard from those who have used both that the old one is actually better (but got no specifics).

If the socket has always stayed the same then 3rd party cables could be made since no one but Tesla can purchase the new plug.

I wonder if Martin looked into that?

I disassembled our spare mobile connector in about an hour and reassembled with an extra wire for the pilot. This will enable me to make it into a 240V 16 amp connector. I plan to use a spare Open EVSE board to generate the pilot. The only special tool I needed was a security screwdriver bit.

bbf15bf6a66013561c5e0db0c7f2b85e.jpg

hello community,

I just opened the Roadster connector (from a SMC) because I want to make my own 32A typ2 to Roadster cable.

As it can be seen, the slider in the connector shorts the pilot pin to ground.

AFAIK, I have to wire the pilot signal directly to the mennekes plug. however the question that arises is, what is then the function of the sliding contactor at the Roadster connector side? nothing?

Same question from another perspective, what is the function (electrical) of this sliding contactor in a UMC?

cheers!

Juanmax

In the UMC the slider opens the pilot circuit. No pilot signal, no charge. To convert an MC120 to level 2 you must add a circuit to provide a pilot signal and route this through the connector's slider. You will need four wires, not three. Two hots, pilot and ground. You will also need to increase the size of the conductors in the cord to be able to handle 32 amps (#8AWG)

thanks PV-EV!

just now I though that this must be the function of the slider, actually makes sense and I should have come to that by myself.

what I am doing is merging a 32A three phase typ2 cable with a SMC. The son of both will be a 32A Typ2 ( most European public chargers) in one side, and the Roadster connector in the other.

I do not need to generate the pilot signal since it is generated at the charger side. I just have to route it through the slider to the pilot pin. the cable is an original mennekes 5x6mm2(N,L,P1,P2,P3) + 1x0.5mm2(Pilot)

cheers

The problem is that to make a safe conversion you should get new pins for the Roadster connector that can crimp directly onto the the heavier gauge wire in the Mennekes cable. That is what Martin Eberhard did when he made used the connector from a 120V cable to make the Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger. PM me your email address and I will send to you Martin's document describing the disassembly and re-use procedure for the Roadster Connector.

The problem is that to make a safe conversion you should get new pins for the Roadster connector that can crimp directly onto the the heavier gauge wire in the Mennekes cable. That is what Martin Eberhard did when he made used the connector from a 120V cable to make the Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger. PM me your email address and I will send to you Martin's document describing the disassembly and re-use procedure for the Roadster Connector.

He actually published such a document?! I know a few people who have drilled out the existing crimps and re-crimped a heavier wire in each pin. I'm not sure which is easier, rebuilding the 120v connector to use with heavier wire or just building a whole new Roadster connector from scratch. I've done both and still have some of the connectors I made.

after two hours searching on the Web, we will see if I get the pins... for sure not from a European distributor. This amphenol pins are difficult if not impossible to find. @hcsharp do you still have some new ones?

cheers