Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster -vs- Elise SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Lotus Elise SC v Tesla Roadster | evo Car Group test | evo

car_photo_306963_25.jpg

car_photo_306959_25.jpg

car_photo_306951_25.jpg

car_photo_306946_25.jpg

Had a bit about the Elise SC when it came out here.

European auto mags do not allow a 12" "let out" like american car mags (except Automobile Magazine). The 0-60 times typically quoted by american mags do not start the timer until after the car has traveled 12". This typically accounts for a .2 or .3 second difference in 0-60 (Automobile Magazine measured 4.4). I don't know what would account for the other .6 seconds. Maybe they did the test with a fairly low charge or after the motor overtemped?

It said there were two in the car at the time. I gather this is normal for UK tests. How much would that add to the time, half a second?

If car's total mass increases for 10%, acceleration time increases for same 10%.
Assuming driver and pasanger weigh 160 lbs each, that would result in 4.3 s 0-60 time.

Half a second means 12% slower acceleration. For that you'd need 12% increase in mass. 12% to 2883 lbs (car and driver) would mean about 345 lbs passenger. I doubt such a guy would fit into that cockpit:smile:

I've heard that the optimal launch for the Tesla is to press the brake and the accelerator at the same time. Then suddenly release the brake.

While the motor doesn't rev up, it does torque up, making a faster launch. I think that's how you get the 4.0, or 4.1, or 3.9, or whatever it is now.

You also need have a full charge, put it in performance mode, and then drive enough for the batteries to warm up, but not so much that the motor or PEM overheats.