Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally, ordered my S85 and now have a few questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. reading stories about spilling water/liquid inside = undriveable/dead car. is this true?
2. owner advisor at tesla store shows me a map of all the private charging "stations" near me. how can i use 1 if it's privately owned? how does this work?

thanks.

1. Complete nonsense. The battery is safely protected.
2. The "charging stations" are Tesla Superchargers which are free to use and are exclusively for Tesla cars. Just plug in. Easy peasy. The owner may have mentioned Plug Share, which is an app that lists people who are offering use of their charger at their home or business.

1. This happened with one or two of the very first cars when the flood sensor was set way too sensitive. It's a non-issue long since corrected.

2. In almost 20,000 miles of driving I've only had to charge away from home on trips, so "charging stations near you" aren't likely to be used in any event. Plugshare lists them as residential, public, and high power. For the residential ones you have to login to get the info and then contact the owner. When planning a trip, if there are no superchargers then RV parks are faster than the majority of public charging stations.

The S85 has enough real-life range that most people very, very seldom ever have to charge anywhere but at home, unless they are taking a long road trip away from home. There are really three different types of "charging networks" out there.

First, you have the Tesla Supercharger network, which gives you extremely fast, free charging. There are currently 78 Superchargers in North America, with more going in just about every week.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Second, there are many public charging stations at places like Walgreens, Cracker Barrel, hotels, airports, and shopping malls. Some of these are free and some are not. Many of these are L2 charging stations, which are pretty slow when it comes to charging a Tesla. You can usually find these with apps like Plugshare and Recargo.

Third, some people make their private home or business EV charging equipment available to people (with prior notice and permission) on Plugshare. Also, most RV campgrounds have NEMA 14-50 outlets which you can use to charge, for a relatively small fee.

Also note that many Tesla stores have free charging/chargers. The Natick Store in Massachusetts has 6 bays of charging available. Ive heard the service centers have them too but since I haven't had delivery yet I haven't sen the local SC first hand.

1- With all of the owners that I know, I can't say that issue has ever come up.

2- If you wish to use a private charger, you just need to create a Plugshare account, and then you can see the contact information for a private charger. You can just call ahead of time for access (and it is probably good etiquette to offer a few bucks for the energy cost :smile:)

Being that I am ordering my S85 in a few weeks I have a question too.

To what extent can normal auto mechanics work on this car? Can they replace the brake pads? Can they replace the tires? Can they replace the brake fluid? Is there brake fluid?

Only Tesla Service Centers can work on the car and its systems. Your local tire store can do tire stuff for you. As for brake pads, I haven't heard of an S owner needing brake pads yet: it could be a very long way off, too, since with regenerative braking you rarely need the big Brembos attached to the brake pedal.

To what extent can normal auto mechanics work on this car? Can they replace the brake pads? Can they replace the tires? Can they replace the brake fluid? Is there brake fluid?

Yes to all of those. There's no reason why you couldn't have those components serviced by an ASE certified mechanic. Tesla uses Brembo brake components, the same as found on other high end cars.

As EarlyAdopter says, the brakes are Brembo brakes and don't have anything special, however, with prepaid service, it's not particularly expensive to have the Tesla Service Centre or Tesla Ranger do all the maintenance. At least you know you're getting factory support from a factory trained person who's interested in keeping the car in good shape rather than just emptying your wallet. Going to a Tesla Service Centre is not like going to a car dealer.

Another noob question: Seems like standard tire rotation is recommended ~every 5K miles. I used to just get it done every other oil change on my ICE car, but no more oil changes. What are people doing in terms of tire rotation? Where are you trusting tire rotation to? I drive 35K miles/year so thats a rotation every other month or so...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Blink still viable? Here in Mass it seems like there really isn't a need. Chargepoint seems to be far more of an available system the Blink.

Don't know about Mass. but the new owners of Blink seem to be more active--at least they send out a number of emails telling when parts of the system will be down for maintenance.

Please be advised that on Sunday, February 23rd at 5am PST we will be performing routine maintenance on the Blink Network. Blink EV Charging Stations will be operational during this time; however, certain features will not be available for approximately 3 hours. These features include:
Blink Mobile Application – The charging locations map and charging status information will not be available.
Blink Guest Codes – Public charging stations will only be accessible with a Blink InCard.
Blink Network Portal – Access to Blink account information will not be available.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. Should you need immediate assistance, please contact Customer Support at (888) 998-Blink (2546).

ditto to @tliving: Between Superchargers and Tesla Service centers who usually have HPWC they'll let you use for free -- so you have a lot of coverage for charging on the road. Also check out Chargepoint.com. For modest fee you can also charge in most states. Note HPWC doesn't charge as fast as Superchargers. Congrats on your impending arrival....