Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $5,000 EV Rebate for BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I was one of the last one processed. It's tough to swallow in BC since our PST (provincial tax) goes from 7% to 10% on luxury cars plus the 5% GST (federal tax), on a 100K car that's $15K in taxes. In Alberta there's no PST. In Ontario, there's a $7,500 rebate. In BC, now there's nothing!:

NEW February 14, 2014 -
- The Clean Energy Vehicle Point of Sale Incentive Program has reached its budget limit and is fully depleted. Effective immediately, please be advised that applications to the Point of Sale Incentive Program are no longer being accepted by the New Car Dealers Association of B.C. For further information, please contact: [url]www.CEVforBC.ca/contact-us[/URL].

LiveSmart BC - Transportation Rebates and Incentives

Yikes. A little harsh not giving at least a 3 month grace period. I suspect others are like me and the rebate factored into their purchasing decision significantly. Also, I would think most people don't decide to buy a car on a whim and that this may have caused at least a few lost EV sales at the last minute (maybe not the MS, but others lower in cost).

...and it's $8500 in Ontario for the MS, BTW.

It was due to expire at the end of March anyway, as well. In early Jan when I was making my final ordering plans, the possibility that Tesla's delivery might be late (i.e. into April) was a key factor in my jumping at the chance to purchase an inventory car, so that I was able to claim the $5k right away. I hope they reinstate it in the new budget year (April). Keeping up with Ontario ($8,500) would be nice!

oh - and Canuck -- Congratulations!!!!!

Ugliest1;600504I hope they reinstate it in the new budget year (April). [/QUOTE said:
I think they will introduce a new program soon.. They promote it so much they have to.. I remember a year ago when I picked up my car, it was about to expire and at the 11th hour they extended it another year.. I know VEVA is really rallying them to extend it.

I was lucky though, i beat the 3% luxury tax that went into effect April 1st.

I'm surprised by this. I thought SK was somewhat progressive by Prairie standards.

We are, it's just that EV's have a VERY small penetration here (with very long distances between communities, pre-Tesla EV's just won't work). I think mine will only be the second Model S in the entire province! And SK has a relatively small population to begin with. Government just doesn't see the point in spending money on them at this point. To some extent, there is still a cloud of ignorance to break through. People here still think all EVs have a short range and that the batteries won't work in the cold. Hoping this will change in the next few years. Model E buyers might see an incentive.

That 5000 hurts. Currently on waitlist for model x, but a six figure car already is a big stretch financially. American pricing seems will be in the 3-10% above model S, plus a bump on top of that for Canada, and then throw in OVER 15 000 in taxes, might not be feasible.

Could be worse; you guys could live here in SK.

No rebates...no incentives...no nothing... At least our (combined) tax is only 10%. :crying:

In BC we pay 15% tax. So it's not worse in Sask. In fact, it's the same as you guys having a $5K rebate on a $100K car. Our old $5K rebate just brought us down to your level. In Alberta, no rebate but no 10% PST, which was twice as good as our old $5K rebate on a $100K car. The only bright side is we live in BC and you guys live in Alberta and Sask... ;)

In BC we pay 15% tax. So it's not worse in Sask. In fact, it's the same as you guys having a $5K rebate on a $100K car. Our old $5K rebate just brought us down to your level. In Alberta, no rebate but no 10% PST, which was twice as good as our old $5K rebate on a $100K car. The only bright side is we live in BC and you guys live in Alberta and Sask... ;)

That was kind of my point. After AB, we have the lowest tax rate in the country. But no incentives.

What you say makes sense though. I guess it seems to be one or the other.

VEVA (Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association) has been lobbying the province, and members have been writing letters, to encourage the government to find funds for continued support of EVs in BC, including the CEV program that provides the vehicle purchase credits. I don't know how likely it may be that the government will make any changes, though.

Just remember you get any grant (if it exists) on delivery, not on order; you don't want them to run out of funds the day before you pick up. :crying:

You actually get the grant when the VIN# is issued. I take delivery of my car March 26th and got the grant. It is in my contract and Tesla was adamant that I would get the rebate. Jon, who I too the test drive with and placed my order through, said that he was in contact with the people in charge of the grant daily and assured me that I would get it. There were about 60 left in the last week of January and they were all gone by Feb.14th.

You actually get the grant when the VIN# is issued. I take delivery of my car March 26th and got the grant. It is in my contract and Tesla was adamant that I would get the rebate.

Wow, thats cutting it close!. Good for you!

I remember last year I was arranging the same thing getting the grant registered with my vin, getting all nervous, and then they extended it at the very last moment. I hope they do that again.. I bet there is a flury of BC deliveries in the next little bit.