Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round-trip Western-to-Eastern MA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a question for those traveling from Western Mass to Eastern Mass (specifically Springfield to Boston), in a P85 I should be able to do the trip out and back without charging? Springfield to Boston is around 190 miles (or so). I routinely take the trek once a month and really like creature comforts (see keeping the cabin a toasty 72 degrees). Has anyone driven this route and not charged (or similar distance)? Does the cold of winter really require a charge? Or the heat of the summer for that matter? Also, do you think a range charge would even be necessary? I usually park in the Boston Commons Garage as my meeting is next to the State House and they have chargers available (I hope).

So a question for those traveling from Western Mass to Eastern Mass (specifically Springfield to Boston), in a P85 I should be able to do the trip out and back without charging? Springfield to Boston is around 190 miles (or so). I routinely take the trek once a month and really like creature comforts (see keeping the cabin a toasty 72 degrees). Has anyone driven this route and not charged (or similar distance)? Does the cold of winter really require a charge? Or the heat of the summer for that matter? Also, do you think a range charge would even be necessary? I usually park in the Boston Commons Garage as my meeting is next to the State House and they have chargers available (I hope).

Last winter I did a day trip to ski at Mt Sunapee on a very cold day in my 85. About 100 miles each way from Cambridge, but we were layered for skiing so kept heat low and used heated seats. The car sat in the cold while we skied but cabin was warmed by sun. Made it on a range charge with 15 miles remaining.

I've also done day trips to Hartford and back - also about 100 miles each way, but in spring/summer. Springfield should be fine but I suggest range charging and heating the cabin and battery (not on range mode) while charging just before you leave to maximize range. Then put heating on range mode.

On Plugshare I don't see a charger at the boston common garage but at least it's underground and probably not too cold. Garage across from the Park Plaza has a charger but it's not so easy to find. I recommend post office square - a handful of chargepoints right by the cashier lobby, and not too far a walk from state house (1/2 mile). Charging for a few hours would alleviate any range anxiety you might have.

andydoty, I've driven round trip from south of Boston to Agawam (Six Flags), this was in the more moderate end of summer, I arrived home with 17 miles of range left. Started with a range charge, and the distance shown was about 106 miles each way. If you can find a place to charge during your meeting, that would be a good idea. The suggestion of Post Office Square above is good, and there also are some Chargepoints on Cambridge street, in front of Boston City Hall, not too far a walk to the state house.. Of course you might possibly get a ticket with street parking (welcome to Boston)

Last edited:
I drive round-trip to Northampton without issue. If temps are above freezing and you range charge, it's easy, provided you drive moderate speeds. The real range-killer is going fast. Keep your cruise control at 70 or below and you should be fine.

Also we have heard with a high degree of confidence that there will be superchargers installed at the Chardon rest areas, near the I-84 interchange. Once these are in, even a 10-minute top-up will completely erase any range issue.

There's a lot of EV charging available in the Boston area. If you are going to the same location each month, you might think about talking to the landlord about installing EV charging there, if there's none nearby. Check out Plugshare.com for a map of EV charging locations.

On Plugshare I don't see a charger at the boston common garage but at least it's underground and probably not too cold.
PlugShare shows a charger at Boston Commons. Looks like it is free with entrance into the lot, but not explicitly.

Commons.PNG

I charge at the Boston Common garage often enough that I can comment - it's warm, but it's very, very tight, and you need to get there early.

there are 4 spots available, but 2 are almost always "ICE'D" with Plug-in vehicles from zipcars.

The other 2 are almost always used by people

So, would I really need to range charge based upon the distance? BTW, I did see the charging locations last time I parked in the Boston Commons Garage, they sure do look VERY tight. I usually arrive around 9:30 to 10am or so. We used to have lunch at 1 Ashburton, however, I've since changed to having lunch at the Natick Mall. The hopes are to charge there on the way home in addition to the garage (if possible).

Andy, there's no reason to be afraid of range charging. In fact, lately there are discussions about how a periodic range charge helps balance the battery. Just don't leave it sit fully charged - do the range charge right before you leave and you'll be back down to 90% in less than an hour. That way you wouldn't need to have a Boston charger in case they're all full or some other issue. And then if you still feel you need more range on the way back you can stop in Natick. You definitely don't need both unless you are driving very fast.

I drive regularly from Boston to Northampton, which is about 110 miles each way. If I drive at about 65mph then I end up with about 20 miles of rated range left with my P85 when I get back home. If you're just going for a single meeting without any side trips then you should be OK... Otherwise you might want to plug in at a level 2 charger for an hour or two...

@tes-s, that is my new travel plan. We used to each lunch in Boston (1 Ashburton has a cafeteria that's surprisingly good and we don't have a lot of time). However, it would seem eating at Natick Mall is far more preferable with the chargers.

@PeterK, so basically a range charge and I should require charging anywhere throughout the trip. I really like to travel in comfort, so HVAC at 72 will be a requirement.