Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front air vents by fog lights stuck open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

So the MS has the black plastic movable covers over the small "radiators" in the front of the car next to the fog lights and behind the lower chrome horizontal slats. These are apparently automatically controlled to open and close based on cooling needs. Mine have been stuck in mostly an open position for the past several months. You can manually close them and hear a servo motor that would normally control this. I've heard that this mechanism does not function on all cars and is being redesigned. Anyone know about this? I prefer mine to close so it looks much cleaner and you can't see the radiators.

Those are louvers that open when the battery needs to be cooled via the two radiators. They are normally closed for better aerodynamics if the battery temp isn't too hot. Are you looking at them after driving, or after many hours sitting while not charging? If the position never changes, the actuators might not be functioning, but BOTH of them not working would be very strange. There is one very large connector under the passenger side headlight that connects all the "stuff" in the bumper. Do the lower running and cornering lights turn on? If none of that works, I would check that connector.

Or just take it in for service.

I'd call the service center and have them check your codes. The louvers have feedback and the car does record warnings when they are not operating properly.
I've got one of those motors on my bench, having fun learning the codes to make it run outside the car.

Thanks Chris and Otmar. Louvers is the correct term. It seems as though both of mine are always in the semi-open position whether after a drive or charge. I can manually close them but they open as designed but never fully close. The cornering and fog lights do function. I'll have the SC take a look. Appreciate all the help!!

Definitely have them checked out. The only time I've ever seen mine open is while Supercharging when it's going full blast on the cooling system. Once it starts to taper, the louvers close.