Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ / JCP&L / FirstEnergy time of use meters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spent 30 mins on the phone with JCP&L (I'm in New Jersey) and the only answer I was able to extract from the customer service rep was "Yes, they do have time of use meters." Couldn't tell me how it works, residential/business, costs to install, rate differential, anything. Does anyone have any experience with JCP&L ToU meters? Thanks!

Just spent 30 mins on the phone with JCP&L (I'm in New Jersey) and the only answer I was able to extract from the customer service rep was "Yes, they do have time of use meters." Couldn't tell me how it works, residential/business, costs to install, rate differential, anything. Does anyone have any experience with JCP&L ToU meters? Thanks!
I lived in a place served by JCPL for 25+ years and I've never heard of or knew of anyone who had TOU metering. YMMV

+1

Preparing to install HPWC and 14-50 in Monmouth County, NJ and have JCP&L. Researching whether possible to have separate meter with time of use for overnight charging and keep standard residential on house. Also considering solar at same time and how that would affect install and scale pricing. Appreciate hearing others' experience.

+1

Preparing to install HPWC and 14-50 in Monmouth County, NJ and have JCP&L. Researching whether possible to have separate meter with time of use for overnight charging and keep standard residential on house. Also considering solar at same time and how that would affect install and scale pricing. Appreciate hearing others' experience.
If you are thinking about solar - ping me - i can set you up with a great company and person. They are also going to be install tesla powerwall in the coming months....

Reactions: jthompson

I have the ToU installed at my home. It took many calls to get it installed. A few times they didn't show up for the scheduled appointment. I think it's worth it. I only charge during off hours.

I have Time of Day Metering. I live in Morris County and it was super easy for JCP&L to come out install a new meter. Off-peak rates are $0.0912 per kWh. It is worth the effort if 70% or greater electricity use is during off peak hours.

ajmehta, until you note your on-peak pricing, no one here can make a comparison. I have JCP&L in Somerset County. I pay .14 kWh (Generation & delivery) 24/7/365. Dropping to .0912 off-peak would realize me a roughly 50% savings but only during certain hours, yet the peak hour rate maybe be approximately .22 kWh and that is 9AM-9PM in summer. I'm not boiling in a overheated house awaiting 9PM to turn my air conditioner on to save a few pennies charging my car. In NJ, there isn't enough incentive to move to Time of Use. Now if they lowered off-peak to .5c and/or made the off-peak hours 9AM-6 or 7PM, it might slide the equation toward making the change. As if there weren't enough reasons to hate the state already. Taxes, car insurance rates, traffic, pollution, 567 separate municipalities, toll roads, crowding, politicians...I'm running out of ink here

I don't remember the numbers but when I compared them last year the peak hours were so high that it didn't offset the off peak discount unless you charged over 60% each night. The only way I saw tou as doable would be in conjunction with a power wall set up but even that would take years to get ahead of the cost curve. If I remember correctly the only time that the tou discounted off peak rate was favorable was for the 4 month summer period. with the lower winter rates there was noy much of a discount for those 8 months so I passed on it.

Email from JCP&L, I live in Monmouth County .....

Thank you for utilizing our website. Unfortunately, we do not offer any discounts on rates for electric cars. We do have a time of day rate.

The time-of-day rate has on-peak and off-peak charges. On-peak hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Daylight Saving Time - Summer) and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time - Winter), Monday through Friday. Off-peak hours are 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. (Daylight Saving Time - Summer) and 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (Eastern Standard Time - Winter), Monday through Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday. Holidays are the same hours as above. No exceptions are given to holidays. This rate is recommended for homes with electric heat and electric hot water heaters. The largest savings are seen with electric heat, because 67% of the week is off peak, and the coldest part of the day is off peak.

At JCP&L, we have winter and summer rates. Our winter rates are from October to May and the summer rates are from June to September. During the winter, our current rate for delivery is 3.6703 cents per kWh and for generation our current rate is 10.2929 cents per kWh. During the summer, all energy used under 600 kWh is being currently billed at 2.6916 cents per kWh and any amount over 600 kWh is billed at 7.2226 cents per kWh for delivery. During the summer, all energy used under 600 kWh is being currently billed at 9.1248 cents per kWh and any amount over 600 kWh is billed at 10.0473 cents per kWh for generation. For time-of-day service, the winter rates are 4.6108 cents per kWh for on-peak delivery, 3.33537 cents per kWh for off-peak delivery, 15.434 cents per kWh for on-peak generation and 6.6255 cents per kWh for off-peak generation. The time-of-day rates for the summer are currently being billed at 5.8586 cents per kWh for on-peak delivery, 3.3537 cents per kWh for off-peak delivery, 16.0025 cents per kWh for on-peak generation, and 6.2913 cents per kWh for off-peak generation. If you would like the time-of-day meter installed, there is not an extra charge and we will need you to confirm in your email reply. After the meter has been exchanged, you would begin being billed on the time-of-day rate.

If you are not satisfied with this response or have additional comments or questions, please reply to this email within five business days or call us at 1-800-662-3115, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. If we do not hear from you within five business days, we will consider this course of action acceptable.

I found JCP&L pretty useless when I tried to find out about time of use rates. Regardless of me knowing whether they do or don’t, I did request a time of day meter and within 3 days they replaced my meter with a time-of-day unit, took 5 minutes. Guess I find out soon enough.

I found JCP&L pretty useless when I tried to find out about time of use rates. Regardless of me knowing whether they do or don’t, I did request a time of day meter and within 3 days they replaced my meter with a time-of-day unit, took 5 minutes. Guess I find out soon enough.

Resurrecting a very old post, but ... how’s it been with the TOU meter?

My home use is such that it’d cost me a fortune. If they considered a 2nd meter, just for the Teslae, that might work .... but between pool pumps, HVAC, computer equipment etc in the home ... I’d lose my shirt on TOU.