Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Registration Data - Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldnt find any thread here in the investors section, so i figured i open up a new one.

The official data can be found here: KBA The latest document is attached to this post.

Here is the data:

Tesla Model S BMW I3 Nissan LeafRenault Zoe
January 30 229 7148
February66 179 2462
March14323013195
Year to date239 638 226
I added some other BEVs to get some colour on the german market for BEVs.

Attachments

• fz10_2014_03_pdf.pdf
    404.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
It would be interesting to know how many of the i3s are pure electric, and how many are the hybrid version. I'd be surprised if BMW sold more pure electrics than Tesla. On the other hand, they actively market it, whereas Tesla's marketing spend is small to non-existent.

It would be interesting to know how many of the i3s are pure electric, and how many are the hybrid version. I'd be surprised if BMW sold more pure electrics than Tesla. On the other hand, they actively market it, whereas Tesla's marketing spend is small to non-existent.

Unfortunately there is no data regarding the hybrid version of the BMW I3. Lets not forget that the BMW I3 is sold for about half the price (or less) of the model S.

Great they finally revealed the individual Tesla numbers, I looked there a couple of times and they were always part of "others"! Thanks for posting.

- - - Updated - - -

After searching TMC a bit I found German numbers for Aug (17) and Sep (43) here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22372-Registrations-in-Germany

Does someone have the Oct-Dec registrations?

extracted from KBA by Volker.Berlin:
201385kWh60kWh
August14
September42
Oktober343
November574
Dezember361
total1838
The data was retrieved by different vehicle type IDs (AAB and AAC) for Model S with different battery sizes. The discrepancies to hobbes' numbers might be due to Roadsters - KBA counts registrations of pre-owned vehicles, too.

Model S Signature deliveries in Germany started in August 2013.

Last edited:
Great, thanks! September was in fact 42 MSs and 1 Roadster, someone on the other thread had posted he called KBA and that´s what they told him.

Here´s a plot, just for fun. Going up :wink:, but still disappointig compared to other European countries, especially those starting with an N.

Screen shot 2014-03-06 at 10.35.54 PM.png

Great, thanks! September was in fact 42 MSs and 1 Roadster, someone on the other thread had posted he called KBA and that´s what they told him.

Here´s a plot, just for fun. Going up :wink:, but still disappointig compared to other European countries, especially those starting with an N.

View attachment 44683

yes, i have a feeling this should increase steadily but it is a bit disappoiinting at the moment...I wonder if there was a way to look at the German forum to see how many reservations there are now from German customers
and/or
a way to go onto theater an site and find out what the waiting times are for an S60 or S85, and P85+

Elon is on the record that Tesla wants to sell 10.000 cars in Germany in 2015. Its a long way to go but Tesla is scaling up quickly the numbers of service centers, stores and supercharger in Germany. There will be partnerships announced shortly which will drive the awareness of the brand in Germany (e.g. to get into the market for business customers). Therefore i think Tesla will do quite well in Germany. I know they had a somewhat slow start but look at it this way: They more than doubled their numbers from january to february. ;-)

The german website of Tesla states june as the earliest for a 60 kWh Model S delivery.

Last edited:
I think the German market is a very special one when it comes to high class limousines.
If we look at Lexus, I think there is no other market on earth where Lexus underperforms in marketshare like in Germany.
So foreign brands have it very difficult in Germany.
Because its almost considered blasphemy to Choose a High end brand other then Audi, Benz, BMW, Porsche.

Tesla has the advantage though that it plays in its own league.
I think the registration numbers will jump by a high number when the SC network is further buildout.
Also not to forget that Tesla is still supply constraint.

It's hard to overcome nationalism, but the first step is to provide a car that meets and exceeds expectations. Tesla has to bring the amenities up to par. So, they need to get the Superchargers built out and they need to get the basics of AutoPilot ready so they can offer the safety features drivers expect.

As long as Tesla remains supply-constrained, these numbers don't necessarily mean much. They just equate to how Tesla is dividing up deliveries of the cars they have.

Only when Tesla can produce more cars than the world is consuming can we get a good picture of demand.

Maybe a little off topic for this thread, but the official numbers for the Netherlands have also been posted. So far, a disappointing 17 Model S's were registered in 2014. (7 in Jan, 10 in Feb). The tightening on fiscal rules for EV cars unfortunately clearly had a bigger impact than any technological reasons (like charging, concern about fires, etc...) This is both good and bad news : it means consumers aren't rejecting the Model S for possibly reported shortcomings on the one hand, but it also means that the Model S currently isn't a strong enough value proposition for Dutch consumers without the previous extraordinary fiscal incentives in place (just to be clear, there is still a strong fiscal stimulus for EV cars, just not as stupenduously strong as it used to be) I don't know the German market as well as I know the Dutch market, but I would not be surprised if the same holds.

The recent price cuts hopefully will help a bit, but if a further reduction would be necessary to convince Dutch buyers, I fear we won't see an increase in the numbers of Model S's for a good while in the Netherlands because there are other markets waiting to be opened that are still prepared to pay the 25% margin Tesla is aiming for. From the company's point of view it would make sense to focus on those countries first and scale the sales organisation in the Netherlands back (because, given its size, it won't be sustainable with sales of just a dozen cars a month).

It's going to be very interesting to see where the march and april numbers are going to be!

Maybe a little off topic for this thread, but the official numbers for the Netherlands have also been posted. So far, a disappointing 17 Model S's were registered in 2014. (7 in Jan, 10 in Feb). The tightening on fiscal rules for EV cars unfortunately clearly had a bigger impact than any technological reasons (like charging, concern about fires, etc...) This is both good and bad news : it means consumers aren't rejecting the Model S for possibly reported shortcomings on the one hand, but it also means that the Model S currently isn't a strong enough value proposition for Dutch consumers without the previous extraordinary fiscal incentives in place (just to be clear, there is still a strong fiscal stimulus for EV cars, just not as stupenduously strong as it used to be) I don't know the German market as well as I know the Dutch market, but I would not be surprised if the same holds.

The recent price cuts hopefully will help a bit, but if a further reduction would be necessary to convince Dutch buyers, I fear we won't see an increase in the numbers of Model S's for a good while in the Netherlands because there are other markets waiting to be opened that are still prepared to pay the 25% margin Tesla is aiming for. From the company's point of view it would make sense to focus on those countries first and scale the sales organisation in the Netherlands back (because, given its size, it won't be sustainable with sales of just a dozen cars a month).

It's going to be very interesting to see where the march and april numbers are going to be!
welcome to the forum. interesting first post. with time, readers here will rely more on what you say after we get the tone of a few dozen posts. keep plugging away

Appreciate your welcome, Chickenlittle! I don't know if I have that much information to share though. the Netherlands is a very tiny market so not much exciting happens. If you have questions I will try to answer them.
Yes I do have a question. Just started watching series Lillehammer on Netflix. Was this really popular in Norway? If so was the appeal how not politically correct or was it the portrayal of an American gangsters solutions?

For comparison, here are the latest numbers from Norway
( Hvor mange Tesla Model S førstegangsregistrert i Norge i løpet av 2014?)

January: 132
February: 431
March until 11/3: ~280

There are rumors that 1400 MS could be delivered this month.

Yes I do have a question. Just started watching series Lillehammer on Netflix. Was this really popular in Norway? If so was the appeal how not politically correct or was it the portrayal of an American gangsters solutions?
This is entirely off-topic, but Lilyhammer has been quite popular, with around 1 million viewers when broadcast on NRK. That corresponds to around 20% of the population, or over 50% market share. Then it's had additional viewers on Netflix, myself included.

The appeal is the humor of the situations that arise when a mafia guy is placed into the Norwegian culture, with stereotypical personalities and situations that are entirely recognizable to Norwegians. You could in a way compare Lilyhammer to Crocodile Dundee, or Lost in Translation.