Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the car today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
Yes i did it backwards, bought first, drive second, like many of us.

My impressions.
Very nice handling.
Mindblowing acceleration, a bit like pulling G's in aerobatics.
It's a really big car for Hong Kong, will occasionally limit you with some parking spots.
Interior could be a lot better, nothing like an Audi, for example.
Battery life is amazing, probably could have done with 60KWh.

She said Superchargers won't be in Hong Kong until the end of this year at the earliest.

They said that we will have to provide and pay for a SIM card in the car, if we want data. We need to give it to them to install. This is not acceptable in my opinion, particularly as they benefit from my data to improve the vehicle. They also suggested to me at the showroom that it would be paid for, like the US. Firmware updates, if you have no data or wifi is done at the service center. Why are they discriminating against us in the China market? I asked if they could do a deal for Tesla owners in HK with a telecom company and she said no.

Charging is the European standard and needs single phase 32A. Once again this should have been confirmed earlier. I asked for a data sheet for my electrician. Max charge rate with single charger is 32A. 32A charging will only be achieved with the supplied cable. Again, they really should have had solid info on this when pricing was released.

I may write to Tesla US with the last 2 points and see if I can get traction.

Once again they said delivery July / August.

Last edited:
Ok. In their defense, there is still a lot of information not known. Must be tough on them to keep saying 'not announced'. I really wouldn't install charge points, but 3G/4G plans, efc, at the moment until the first cars start to arrive and we know for sure.

just re-call my email to Linda few days ago…

"We have yet to select a HK service provider. Once we do, we will purchase a number of sim cards and have that sent to our Fremont factory to program for all HK cars delivered.

Currently, Model S supports 3G worldwide."

That's her reply when i asked her how should the cellular data works for Model S owner (I thought we have to choose on our own)

Hope this helps.

just re-call my email to Linda few days ago…

"We have yet to select a HK service provider. Once we do, we will purchase a number of sim cards and have that sent to our Fremont factory to program for all HK cars delivered.

Currently, Model S supports 3G worldwide."

That's her reply when i asked her how should the cellular data works for Model S owner (I thought we have to choose on our own)

Hope this helps.

I was wondering if you bought the car in Europe, and drove across several countries. This would cost Tesla Motors a fortune, as roaming, even within Europe, isn't cheap at all.

Only data for 4 years, then what? I had the impression that super chargers and data connectivity was included when you buy the car.

I was wondering if you bought the car in Europe, and drove across several countries. This would cost Tesla Motors a fortune, as roaming, even within Europe, isn't cheap at all.

Only data for 4 years, then what? I had the impression that super chargers and data connectivity was included when you buy the car.

I am actually impressed by the free internet, as i wasn't expecting that at all.

Did you get disappointed when you found out Apple isn't paying for your internet connection and the electricity for your iPad?

Last edited:
I am actually impressed by the free internet .

Did you get disappointed when you found out Apple isn't paying for your internet connection and the electricity for your iPad?

Alipapa, this is silly! Tesla has promised this previously. Apple did not promise electricity, nor data, but Tesla Motors have said that when you buy the car with the tech package, it comes connected - you don't need to worry about it. The same for supercharging, it is free and will always be free (although, they never said they would guarantee enough super charging for all). It's kind of a funny pun, maybe that's why it's free: Supercharging free of charge ... so is it charging or not?

I was wondering that data in the US could be fine, one large country, but compared to Europe, you could be driving through multiple countries in one day - who pays for the roaming, if you want to use data?

Alipapa, this is silly! Tesla has promised this previously. Apple did not promise electricity, nor data, but Tesla Motors have said that when you buy the car with the tech package, it comes connected - you don't need to worry about it. The same for supercharging, it is free and will always be free (although, they never said they would guarantee enough super charging for all). It's kind of a funny pun, maybe that's why it's free: Supercharging free of charge ... so is it charging or not?

I was wondering that data in the US could be fine, one large country, but compared to Europe, you could be driving through multiple countries in one day - who pays for the roaming, if you want to use data?

I am not trying to put up a fight, but I just don't understand the logic behind your concern.

USA.jpg
HK.jpg

Just check on both US and HK site, and it clearly written that the tech pack comes with 7 years connectivity in the States while the HK site says nothing about it.

Anyway, i will let you guys know about the roaming issue as soon as I drive it to the Mainland.

You're going to pull that sentence out over a SIM card (which turned out to very quickly be a non-issue) when every other foreign luxury car manufacturer charges Chinese customers twice as much for their vehicles, but Tesla does not?

It was actually a wry HK joke. It's the mainlanders catch cry when they want compensation from some non-Chinese company.

I am not trying to put up a fight, but I just don't understand the logic behind your concern.

View attachment 44672View attachment 44673

Just check on both US and HK site, and it clearly written that the tech pack comes with 7 years connectivity in the States while the HK site says nothing about it.

Anyway, i will let you guys know about the roaming issue as soon as I drive it to the Mainland.

I am not concerned, but way back when we placed the reservation payments, we didn't have the HK prices. We got the information from the US market website, then other countries. Elon Musk also promised free supercharging, as part of the deal. Is this also for the USA only?

There is no "promise" of free supercharging in HK yet, only that it's coming. It might not be free, it might be enclosed behind a paid parking you have to enter first.

Without data connectivity, how many features will you lose? I don't care about Facebook and web pages, but I want to be able to use the navigation, and OTA updates. How about tracking the car, in case it is stolen and so on? Starting the air condition from your phone?

Without data, a lot of the features are useless - although it will still work as a car of course. I tried to look for references, but couldn't just find any. But I am sure I have read in several briefings about how the car is just online constantly, and Tesla takes care of this and that.

Those screen shots you show can rightfully be seen as no data included, but I didn't expect this from Tesla I must say.

Anyway, if they don't provide it, I am sure drivers will find their own solutions, if nothing else, then at least a 3G/4G-to-WiFi plug, so the car can have internet connection. Then you can drive into China or other places, and simply make your own WiFi for the car to use.