Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago to Lansing - charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to drive to Lansing (from Chicago). My concern isn't getting there, but having enough juice to get back to the supercharger. Are there any other superchargers in MI besides the 1 on Tesla website? Anybody make the dive from Chicago to Lansing in the winter using only superchargers?

I have to drive to Lansing (from Chicago). My concern isn't getting there, but having enough juice to get back to the supercharger. Are there any other superchargers in MI besides the 1 on Tesla website? Anybody make the dive from Chicago to Lansing in the winter using only superchargers?

If you're spending some time in Lansing then you won't have a problem. Plenty of 30A charging stations there that will get you charged up (take a look at Plugshare if you haven't already). Stop in St. Joseph for a top up, it's 125 miles from there to Lansing. You can charge for 4 hours while doing whatever you need to do there and have plenty of charge to get back to St. Joseph.

There are 2 SC in IN., what is your concern?

My concern is if it's 125 miles from Supercharger to Lansing, and I will be driving around Lansing for 2 days, will I have enough juice to get back to the Supercharger? Given my full battery is 245 miles and round trip is min. of 250 to/from Supercharger, I may be in trouble.

L2 might not be available at your hotel or wherever you're staying, but they should be able to accomodate L1. That should still get you ~30-40 miles. Better than nothing. Also, Angola is only ~90 miles away

My concern is if it's 125 miles from Supercharger to Lansing, and I will be driving around Lansing for 2 days, will I have enough juice to get back to the Supercharger? Given my full battery is 245 miles and round trip is min. of 250 to/from Supercharger, I may be in trouble.

Just plug into a 120V outlet. You get 3 miles per hour of >70 miles per day.

Also, the Angola, IN SC is only 90 miles one way from Lansing, MI. Do you know that? Also, have you even bothered to look on plugshare? There are dozens of J1772 chargers. please, do your due diligence before you post.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a map of chargers in Lansing, MI

charger.PNG

Last edited:
Also, the Angola, IN SC is only 90 miles one way from Lansing, MI. Do you know that? Also, have you even bothered to look on plugshare? There are dozens of J1772 chargers. please, do your due diligence before you post.
Hey, take it easy on the new members, will ya? :smile:

The world of Tesla charging is new and varied to lots of new owners:

- Superchargers and home HPWCs have a plug that goes straight into the car. Easy peasy, as long as your car is next to one.

- The Tesla UMC goes between the car and an electrical outlet, either:
* L1 (120V "wall plug" seen everywhere, technical term is NEMA 5-15, slow charging but OK for overnight if no better options) or
* L2 (240V, depends on the adapter or adapters you have with the UMC, but used with bigger outlets for dryers, ranges, RVs, welding equipment, etc. and charges faster)

- Finally, the Tesla J1772 adapter plugs into the car, letting you then use public L2 EVSE stations like what's shown on PlugShare or EVChargerMaps etc. Some are free, others are run by companies like ChargePoint, which charge a small fee per hour of use. Call the number on the side of the station and they'll get you signed up and charging.

Lots of options available for those who know where to look and how to plug in!

Thanks Rabar10! Extremely helpful. I've had my Tesla for 8 months, but obviously never charged anywhere besides home & superchargers. I have range/charge anxiety, but love this car so much I'd rather take it versus my other ICE cars on my trip. I appreciate your help & explanations :)

Thanks Rabar10! Extremely helpful. I've had my Tesla for 8 months, but obviously never charged anywhere besides home & superchargers. I have range/charge anxiety, but love this car so much I'd rather take it versus my other ICE cars on my trip. I appreciate your help & explanations :)
Glad to help! I would recommend using one of those sites to find a local J1772 EVSE station or two and try them out, just to get comfortable using them. But between charge spots in Lansing and the Superchargers, you should be good to go!