Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPod Compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NEWDL

R#350 R#1323, RWD LR 3, Perf3, 23 X LR (7th Tesla)
Jan 5, 2009
NE OHIO
Does anyone know exactly what iPods work in the car with the iPod audio hookup? I want to buy a new nano...does that work? My iPhone did not seem to work...suggestions or recommendations?

I assume you have seen this:

https://www.teslamotors.com/display_data.php?data_name=jvc_iphone (you need to be logged in to the Owners Only section for that link to work, probably).

I have not tried it with the latest Nano personally, but I have tried getting an iPhone to work with the same model JVC unit as comes with the electronics package, and it can be made to work. It can be a pain to use, but it is functional!

The iPhone is usually the hard one. If it works with the iPhone it will likely work with any modern iPod model as well. If you want more assurance than that, I will try testing out the combination of latest Nano with that model JVC unit next week when I go back to the store to do more radio fu with my Roadster.

It actually might not charge depending on your iPhone version.

I think this JVC model charges the first rev iPhone, but not the iPhone 3G without a weird adapter. I can check on that too if you need to know.

I think that is correct. Somewhere during the iPhone/iPod evolution Apple
changed from firewire to USB and hence the charging voltage changed. The JVC is still set up for firewire (12 volts?) whilst USB gives 5volts.
(Why they couldn't make the iPhone deal with both i'm not sure .)

Answered this a few days ago with links on the owner's forum, but will add info here for those not in that forum.

The original iPhone charges fine and works fine with the JVC (in aux mode, not changer mode - the link in the previous reply shows how to change it).

The 3G iPhone works fine, but does not charge with the JVC, but I bought and am using the CableJive charging adaptor (<$20) another owner suggested, and it works great.

I have not tried the newest nano, but assume (with all the dangers inherent in assumptions :) ) that it is, like the 3G iPhone, no longer capable of charging from the firewire based pins, and therefore needs a charger adapter too in order to charge, but should work as an audio source already.

Last edited: