Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window adjustment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you live near a Tesla Store, by all means go in there and have them do that adjustment. When I went down to Menlo Park to do the paperwork, and get the Roadster familiarization, I tried to get them to show me how to do that adjustment. They politely but firmly told me to bring it in and let them do it. That screw adjustment is touchy and parts inside the doors can "fall apart" if not done right.

I was reading the manual, and it says that to switch between the soft-top and hard-top, the windows need to be adjusted to make a proper seal. It also says that the adjustment needs to be made by Tesl Motors. Question:

Has anyone had experience with that?

Has anyone had experience with poor fit of an after-market Lotus hard-top?

Thanks

I would also love to hear from anyone switching between the soft and hard tops.

I was told that, in order to make the adjustment, they remove the door panels.
Definitely not something I am going to try myself:)
However, Tesla also mentioned that the change from soft to hard tops MAY not require any adjustment.

Waiting for my hardtop and crossing my fingers:)

Door panels do NOT have to be removed ... unless you mess it up (ouch!) and the adjustment screws end up inside the door panels. However, due to the sensitive nature of the procedure you should have someone experienced (Tesla store if convenient, or experienced nearby fellow owner) show you at least once. The Tesla store will probably do one adjustment for you free of charge. And yes, due to the nature (variability) of the parts fit, it is possible that no adjustment is needed on a particular car, or a prefect "blend" for the two different tops can be found with some practice (time consuming unless you get lucky).

Now that I have my car, I was going to post a new thread question, when I realized I already started a thread practically on point.

I noticed that my car makes a lot of wind noise. To reproduce this, the soft top needs to be in place, the windows maximally rolled up, and I find I need to go 40 mph or faster. This isn't a little bit of noise, I can't talk on my phone <- no comment. I looked and at the front of the window, there is a hole where the soft top meets the front of the door. (It's night now, I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow).

Does everyone have this? Is this typical for a Tesla?

I have the same problem....

I have had a telsa rep attempt to fix it twice by adjusting the window and door - however it had never gone away and is one of my biggest peeves with the car..... :) wish I had a solution for you - but ask your tesla rep to try to adjust it next time they see your car. My wind noise on the driver door is now about half as noisy as it used to be - but still unacceptable. To me it seems the soft plastic molding doesn't fit the window correctly.

No adjustments needed when changing from soft- to hardtop on my European 2.0 Roadster. The fits do not differ. No extraordinary noises around either. Of course you have to ensure the hardtop is centered accurately when mounting. The quality of the whole body is excellent. Even in heavy downpours on the motorway it stays bone dry inside - with either top.
Alfred

I did the best I could with my phone's camera. Do other people have a gap like this? :confused: This is incredibly noisy. I am going deaf as it is, so I have a hard time making out different sounds, but when that wind is blowing, I can't hear the radio unless it is blaring and I can't hear on the phone (and the person on the other end can't hear me either).

This will be a long wait for the Model S unless I can find a fix. I might just go find a piece of foam and crazy glue it to where that gap is!:mad:

leak3.jpg
leak2.jpg

Number 562 is on the way back from Menlo Park where it was having a 12 v battery failure corrected. While the car was there, they said they installed a D-seal to reduce wind noise at the windows. I'll let you know when it gets back if I notice any difference in wind noise with the hard top installed.

@William3: wow, don't give up hope. I'll find a solution and I'll post it here. I am disappointed with the noise, but after 3 days with the car, I am not as frustrated as you yet. But now that I know not to wait on a solution from Tesla, I will put matters into my own hands and come up with a solution.

I'm going to start with weather stripping and see if it works as a temporary fix, until I can find one worthy of a $140k car.

Last edited:
I've got the same problem on my 2010 Roadster. The wind noise with the windows up and the hardtop on is unbearable. It actually hurts my ears on the freeway. I've taken it back to the dealership but they just tell me that "it is within acceptable limits". Wow. So noisy you can't even talk to the person next to you -- even yelling can't overcome the wind noise. Forget about trying to talk on the phone. Wanting a quiet car is one of the main reasons I bought an electric car, and is the only reason I paid thousands of dollars extra for the hardtop. I can only use the car for local errands on slow roads, freeway use is out of the question. The car is nothing more than a NEV to me now. I never would have bought this car had I known.

Yikes, wow that doesn't seem normal to me. While I can't use the built-in bluetooth integration to hold a cellphone conversation with soft-top on at highway speeds, it's by no means annoying or painful to listen to ... and I can hold a conversation with a passenger with a raised (but not yelling) voice. Perhaps your customer advocate could help you?

... and I can hold a conversation with a passenger with a raised (but not yelling) voice.

I find that I have to use a raised voice as well, but I would describe it as "almost yelling." I suspect that William3, cinergi, and I have different definitions of what noise is. My problem is that due to listening to loud music in my youth, I have lost some hearing. Background noise makes it hard to hear. I suspect that maybe William3 might feel the same as I. Cinergi is just lucky to still have great hearing.

Today I will walk the halls of Home Depot and Pep Boys to search for a solution. I have an idea of what the temporary solution will look like, I just need to find the materials. (sadly, I think it will look awful, but I won't work on a pretty solution, unless I know it is something that can be fixed)

@William3: I have good news.

First, let me put this in perspective. There are certain sounds that are more-or-less the same for all of us and we can use as a measure of loudness. For example: The sound of the climate control with the blower on 3 or the sounds of the tires at 60 mph or the sound when passing a truck.

Prior to the fix, at 40 mph the interior wind noise was louder than the blower set on 3. At 60 mph, the interior wind noise was louder than the sound of passing a truck. After the fix, the vehicle remained silent at 40 mph. At 60 mph, the sound was barely perceptible over the blower set to 3. With the blower off, the interior sound was "pleasant." I could have held a normal conversation had I not been alone (on my way to work). At 70 mph, I could hear wind noise, but this time it sounded like it was coming from outside. It was definitely louder than what I was used to with my Mercedes SL hard top convertible, but it was very similar to what I remember from other people's soft top convertibles. It was around the same volume as what I believe is the sound from the tires, and still quieter than the noise from passing a truck.

I was going to take pictures of the fix, but yesterday was Halloween, so I was enlisted to decorate the house and give out candy. By the time that was done, it was pitch black and I hadn't tested the fix, so I wasn't sure I had something to tell you about. As I was doing the fix, I came up with a very cosmetic solution which I am sure you will be very happy with.

So, either today at lunch, or tonight after work, I will take some pictures and show you the fix. It will take longer to go to the store to get the materials then it will be to fix it.

P.S. I noticed that my driver side door and passenger door have different amounts of leakage. That's how I came up with my better fix, but it also made me realize that I owe cinergi an apology. It is very likely that we are all dealing with differing amounts of noise. I believe that the problem is with the design of the seal for the soft top (I don't have a hard top upon which to comment). The rubber seal from the convertible top, when snapped into place, displaces the door seal making a small gap. I believe the variable is the seal on the soft top. That is why I leak less on the passenger side than the driver side. The fix, simply reduces that effect. Pictures later...