Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9v1.1 Launch: Orbcomm OG2, July 14, 2014 (finally!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it.

More info on why 6 sats on this first launch, and 11 sats on the later launch in this article:
With 17 Satellites Slated To Launch in 2014, Orbcomm Eyes Larger Share of M2M Market | SpaceNews.com

Interesting tidbit from the article:

"Rochelle Park, N.J.-based Orbcomm originally expected the second-generation constellation to be operational sometime in 2011. The launches have been successively delayed for multiple reasons, the latest being the availability of the SpaceX Falcon 9.

Industry officials have said Orbcomm secured the SpaceX launches, originally aboard smaller Falcon 1 rockets before that vehicle was retired, at an exceptionally low price, leaving the company little alternative but to wait its turn on Falcon 9."

So this is the next launch. The current schedule indicates only that it's due in May 2014, but any details on more concrete time slots? I'm guessing the rocket manufacturing didn't get impacted by the delays even though the launch site is also at Cape. Any clues as to when they can move ahead with it. And I sure hope they don't spray water at this launch so that the rocket goes nice and clean not dirty like in the CRS-3 launch :D

All those launch dates are in May.
I changed it to state May after I saw his post :biggrin:
Any news of whether there will be any testing for reusability on this flight? Will the F9 have landing legs attached for this launch?
AFAIK all future flights will have landing legs, and unless the payload requirements and previous customer agreements dictate a fully-expendable launch, SpaceX will reserve propellant to complete 1st stage return testing on each launch from here on out.

So the static fire was cancelled on Thursday due to some issues with umbilical as reported by NASA spaceflight. The test should be conducted on Friday i.e. today and at least for now there is no indication that the Saturday launch would be postponed. The secondary launch window is on Sunday just a few minutes earlier than on Saturday.

SpaceX move Falcon 9 Static Fire test to Friday | NASASpaceFlight.com

So the static fire was cancelled on Thursday due to some issues with umbilical as reported by NASA spaceflight. The test should be conducted on Friday i.e. today and at least for now there is no indication that the Saturday launch would be postponed. The secondary launch window is on Sunday just a few minutes earlier than on Saturday.

Only one or two days between the static fire test and the launch? That faster than they've ever done before. I'd bet SpaceX is pushing the envelope to make things happen at a faster pace. They've said they want to get the prep for launch down to one hour. I'm sure they are still focused on everything being safe and spaceworthy, but they still are trying hard to improve their timetables. You gotta love these people. Go SpaceX.

SpaceX’s Falcon 9 v1.1 – tasked lofting six ORBCOMM OG2 satellites into orbit – scrubbed her second attempt at a Static Fire test on Friday. Thursday’s Static Fire was postponed following problems with umbilical connections between the SLC-40 pad and the rocket. Friday’s issue is unspecified but is likely to result in SpaceX delaying the launch that was set for Saturday.

Spaceflight Now Mission Status Center
FRIDAY, MAY 9, 2014

DELAY. Launch of the Orbcomm mission has been postponed until at least Monday, though later this month is possible.

"Today's attempt to perform the static firing test was stopped while the rocket was being fueled. Both the OG2 satellites and the rocket are in safe condition and will be rotated horizontal and rolled back into the integration facility," Orbcomm said in a statement.

"This will prevent us from launching this weekend. We will keep you posted on when the next launch attempt will take place but it’s likely to be later this month."

nasaspaceflight.com

Date: May 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Subject: SpaceX ORBCOMM Launch Update

A static fire test in advance of SpaceX’s ORBCOMM OG2 Mission 1 was scrubbed this morning during fueling. Both the Falcon 9 rocket and ORBCOMM satellites are in good condition but as a result of schedule constraints, launch will be postponed past this weekend with the next opportunity most likely in late May...

I blame jdevo2004 for being a storm crow (pahanilmanlintu -> for jinxing it ;)) and bad plumbing at SLC-40.

Last edited: