Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photo Sync Tint - Front Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My scheduled delivery is in three weeks :biggrin:; I want to get all my windows tinted with PhotoSync (45), including the front windshield (75). Has anyone tinted the windshield with Photo Sync? If you have, do you get a “halo effect” at night with headlights of oncoming traffic or have you experienced any issues?

Thank you

No halo effect on the front at all.

The halo is in back window is because there is a very small air gap between the tint film and the glass when it goes up and over each defrost wire.

I don't think that has anything to do with Photosync tint specifically though.

We have the same on our windshield - can't even tell it's tinted (except for the heat reduction!). Very happy with that choice. :)

(We have Madico Wincos 60 on the sides and 30 on the back... Although the price was much better, I wish I had done Photosync on all the windows...the Wincos sometimes looks a little hazy.)

I have Photo Sync 75 on my front windshield and get the halo effect only when wearing polaroid sunglasses (Jim Maui), otherwise no halo effect night or day. I had 3M Crystalline on my front windshield and switched to Photo Sync as the Crystalline gave the appearance of looking through a film of plastic and had a haziness to it when driving directly into the sun. Maybe the Crystalline was installed incorrectly; in any case I am happy I made the switch.

I have PhotoSync 35 on the side and rear windows, PhotoSync 75 on the windshield and pano roof. When wearing polarized sunglasses I would notice some other cars windshield showed a halo effect, but it didn't bother me. With non-polarized glasses, it just looks clear.

I too have 75 on the front windshield. Day or night, we cannot tell it's there. Makes a dramatic difference in keeping the car cool. During summer, before we had Photosync installed, we constantly had the AC level set to 10-11. After it was put on, we were typically between 1-2.

Attachments

• IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,239
Everything here in Cali costs more. Gas, real estate, you name it. That said, Photosynch's premium is well worth its admission. I also have 75 on the windshield and wouldn't use anything else going forward on all my new cars.

Heres my photosynch 75 on the front. Haven't washed the car in about a month because of the rain so the windshield's pretty dirty. Looks and feels much better than the Huper tint on my other cars.

Attachments

• 20140307_082024.jpg
    20140307_082024.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 766
I have PhotoSync 35 on the side and rear windows, PhotoSync 75 on the windshield. Day or night I can't tell it's there unless 1) I'm wearing polarized sunglasses; or 2) it's very hot outside but the car inside stays cool, it's very noticeable then.

No halo effect on the front at all.

The halo is in back window is because there is a very small air gap between the tint film and the glass when it goes up and over each defrost wire.

I don't think that has anything to do with Photosync tint specifically though.
Actually it does because high quality film such as Photosync is thicker than the inexpensive films. Thicker film isn't as conforming as the thinner films.

I prefer the better quality film and consider the small gaps as a reasonable compromise.

I have Photosync 75 on the windshield of my Model S and on my 2012 Volt and am quite satisfied. I don't think there is a competitive product that will perform as well as the Photosync 75 for the windshield. Huper Optic is a good competitor for the other windows. I opted for Photosync on all my Model S windows and Huper Optic on the other windows on the Volt. I am pleased with the film on both cars.

- - - Updated - - -

what happens when you wear polarized glasses? I am planning on getting my windshield done and all my sunglasses are polarized, will this be a problem?
Polarized glasses work fine in My Model S for viewing through the windshield. I do not like polarized glasses for reading the instruments or monitor. I also have problems reading my Garmin Edge 800 when riding my bicycle with polarized glasses.

what happens when you wear polarized glasses? I am planning on getting my windshield done and all my sunglasses are polarized, will this be a problem?

I too am curious about the polarized glasses with the photosync

It's not a problem at all. I just see a faint rainbow sometimes. I noticed it happens a bit more with some glasses than others. I have a third pair where I have to tilt my head 45 degrees to see any rainbows at all, so I use those in the MS. So I think it just depends on the glasses.
As far as the screens, I have no problems with polarized glasses.