Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not so sure. Every parking station in Kowloon run by Wilson parking has multiple ev charging places which is about 50 locations. We know a Tesla is going to install superchargers in HK and that, on top of hundreds of km of range in the Model S will make them very popular. I can see a situation where parking stations try to make themselves popular by providing lots of charging options, it's good for business.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. Every parking station in Kowloon run by Wilson parking has multiple ev charging places which is about 50 locations. We know a Tesla is going to install superchargers in HK and that, on top of hundreds of km of range in the Model S will make them very popular. I can see a situation where parking stations try to make themselves popular by providing lots of charging options, it's good for business.

I'm pretty sure there will be superchargers in Hong Kong by the time Model S arrives.

I'm not sure the issue will be lack of charging stations. At the moment there are 2 or 3 public sockets for each EV on the road.

But, difficulties in putting in / obtaining home / office / workplace charging. That is a nail in the coffin.

The only nail in the coffin will be for ICE cars.

They told me the other day that about 1000 cars have been ordered for HK already. It is a priority market and Tesla will be very active in supporting owners and the local market. Its also a priority for the government. They want to sell in places that have mass apartment living and no doubt have a plan to support owners. After all, all anyone needs is a 13A socket or a 32A if possible. Not much else to it.

After all, all anyone needs is a 13A socket or a 32A if possible. Not much else to it.

Have you actually tried? I keep hearing story after story of people approaching management offices and owners committees / corporations, and getting turned down. Some have tried for three years, with no progress. I have yet to hear of even a single success story in this.

It would be wonderful if Tesla really have 1,000 orders (my dream was 1,000 Model S in HK this year), but if those 1,000 owners don't have anywhere to plugin apart from public 13A sockets or a drive across Hong Kong to queue up for a supercharger slot at busy weekends, it is going to be a nightmare.

One possibility is 32A weekend destination charging. With 1,000 luxury cars driven by people with some wealth, all looking for a charge, it seems an opportunity for a shopping centre / restaurant area to take advantage of.

Although I have my doubts about EV success in HK due to lack of general support, I have already successfully installed 2 13A sockets 2 years ago at my carpark in an apartment complex with the proper approval of the owners committee.
Now just waiting for my Tesla and i3. Hope it won't be a total inconvenience to go fully electric for the family.
What we need is more fast charging stations at public carparks or even better several Superchargers.

Although I have my doubts about EV success in HK due to lack of general support, I have already successfully installed 2 13A sockets 2 years ago at my carpark in an apartment complex with the proper approval of the owners committee.
Now just waiting for my Tesla and i3. Hope it won't be a total inconvenience to go fully electric for the family.
What we need is more fast charging stations at public carparks or even better several Superchargers.

Maybe you can suggest where you want the superchargers to be in another thread and maybe Tesla Hong Kong will take your suggestions one day.

That is interesting. Can you share how you got it installed, how the metering is done, and any advise for others in a similar situation?

Politely requested the installation from the owners committee. Got a CLP meter under my name next to the sockets installed. All done by a licenced electrician. All approved by CLP. Total cost were about HKD 25k.

Interesting. Sounds like a clear example of how it could be done.

How much trunking had to be put in, from electricity supply to your parking spaces? That is normally the main issue.

I won't have any problem as I live in a house with my own carports next to it, so I can do what I like.

Those of you with apartment issues should perhaps follow Vmax's example and perhaps even a letter or a call/visit from a Tesla rep could help? Perhaps we need to help the community and lobby govt to support EV by mandating that mass residential housing is required to support requests for an EV charging plug in parking places?

The funny thing is that the HK Environment Bureau has a list of 1,000 EV charging points in HK here but about 980 of them are 13A sockets! Not very useful to a Model S at a shopping mall when it only adds 12km/hr. HK definitely needs to build out a significant number of 10kW and/or 20kW Type-2 public charging stations with cable permanently attached. The convention in EU is Bring-Your-Own-Cord since the stations have Type-2 sockets. That is strange to me in CA where all charging stations have built-in Type-1 J1772 cables. Public stations are usually 6.3kW, more than double the power delivery of a HK 13A socket.

Lerxt, very good suggestion!
Without government to support EV by mandating that mass residential housing is required to support requests for an EV charging plug in parking places, EVs can't move forward in HK.

Note that this is already the case for new developments (which must have allowance for charging). The issue is existing developments, and that is going to require legislation or pressure from the sheer number of vehicles.

The following is the Government's strategy related to this:

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr13-14/english/hc/sub_leg/sc10/papers/sc100305cb1-1027-1-e.pdf

* A dedicated team and a hotline (3757 6222) are in operation to help EV owners or buyers to set up EV chargers at strata-titled car parks. Besides, guidelines have been issued to prospective EV buyers on how to set up chargers at their own car parks and letters were issued to around 7 400 owners’ organisations appealing for their support.

* Since April 2011, car parks have been required to be “EV charging-enabling” if the developer wishes to obtain concessions on gross floor area. All parking spaces are required to put in place at the building construction stage the infrastructure and conditions, including electrical wiring and provision of sufficient power supply, to facilitate future installation of chargers.

* Planning guidelines for new buildings have been amended to recommend 30% of car parking spaces to be installed with standard chargers.

Have you actually tried? I keep hearing story after story of people approaching management offices and owners committees / corporations, and getting turned down. Some have tried for three years, with no progress. I have yet to hear of even a single success story in this.
Now it has taken me 2.5 years but 16 employee charging station have been approved at work. It does take time at a large company.