Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharger-Only Coast to Coast Road Trip in a Tesla Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me Sam. I’ll be your driver for the next week (or so). Guy . . . girl. Doesn’t really matter. This story isn’t about me. This is about a Tesla MS60. And the Supercharging Network.

The smallest battery currently offered by the company, the Model S 60 is the bare bones of their line. Starting at $63,070 (with Supercharging enabled & living in CA), you get free long distance travel, for life. Add in HOV and HOT access (solo) and you are able to drive at a reasonable rate of speed in areas (Bay and SoCal) that rank among the worst commutes in the U.S.

Just so happens that my hometown also offers free metered parking as a perk of living in what some derisively call the Republic of Santa Monica.

+++++++++++++++++

But this is about the drama. What everyone wants to read and see. Cars on fire, stuck on the side of the road, struggling through adversity. If that’s what you are reading ahead here for, then please close your browser, block my tweets and unfriend me immediately.

This is a story about anyone doing a trip across the country (and back). If you’d consider doing this trip in your gas car at least. Most people never drive cross country. I was going to google the actual percentage, but you can do that yourself. If you care. Which I don’t.

But if you do like to drive, there is no better road warrior that the Model S of any flavor. 14K miles since August 2013 delivery.
Cross country is different. A great city car, be it ICE or EV, can turn against you on the open road. Hoses burst and belts snap. Worst of all you run out of fuel. Since the advent of the pure EV, range has been the forbidden five letter word. The MS60 is different.

It has a range of 208 miles which you can extend even beyond that with careful driving. But we’ll come to that later. Can’t get ahead of ourselves. First the route. Hawthorne Supercharger to Virginia Beach VA. And back.

Most people with the 85kWh version (and a range of 265 miles) are over it. They know it can be done. At least it has been twice already. Once by a father and daughter team from NYC to LA. And then a few days after by Tesla Motors team.

This trip isn’t going to break any records for speed or charging. I reckon it’s going to be a bit of a snooze. But if you want to see how an EV works. How the Supercharging Network work. And how, with superfluous laziness, you can still drive cross country for FREE in about 4 days.

There is a purpose to my trip, but I could just as easily have flown. No I’m not telling. Nosy.

This trip is like any other road trip. It’s also the final nail in the coffin of range anxiety when discussing Tesla. Tesla will NEVER have another car that has a shorter range than mine. I can fail. There is no net. I will be posting updates over the next week (or so) and I’ll try to answer as many questions as possible.

I’ll post updates and photos at Twitter and Instagram: @TeslaMS60

Last edited:
Thanks for all the well wishes. Many knowledgable owners here. If you have questions I'll answer them during my charging breaks.

Thanks @sgt Barone for the Info on Lone Tree. Might not stop on the way to Cheyenne but definitely on the way back.

Fortunately, the Lone Tree, CO supercharger just opened yesterday, which should help a ton with the gap between Silverthorne and Cheyenne. Good luck!

Lonetree is kinda out of the way from Silverthorne to Cheyenne. Going east, net downhill, should not be a problem without the detour to Lonetree, even in a 60. If there are issues, you always have some J's in Fort Collins as a backup. Going west is the issue with a net 3,000 feet to gain and the fact that the last 12 miles are downhill into Silverthorne, so you need a few more rated miles to make it through the Eisenhower Tunnel than to get to Silverthorne. It's a tough tradeoff of whether to make the trip across Denver and back again for the fast charge at Lone Tree or get some pizza and a few kW-hr at Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs. I'd tend towards the latter, but for a Supercharger Only purist, I guess a little more travel across Denver is not so bad.

cjc9er just finished Colorado to California and back again in a 60 if you want to PM him for advice.

Good Luck!

Cool! Interested in a 60 myself - I also live in LA and family lives near Virginia. I'd love to make the same trip one day.

Looking forward to the updates!

The 60 is great in California And as soon as the supercharging stations in the East Coast are filled out it's going to be incredible.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! I subscribed to this thread.

Thanks Hiroshi. I'm trying to better job of updating this thread but with all the first time social media thing I'm failing.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! I subscribed to this thread.

Thanks Hiroshi. I'm trying to better job of updating this thread but with all the first time social media thing I'm failing.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck Sam, looking forward to your story!

Thanks 772. I'm not sure when the full story will come out but I'll try to update it every day if possible.

Best of luck @callmesam! will be looking to see how the MS60 fares, especially with the colder weather the rest of country is getting. We Californians are spoiled.

Cold hasn't been a problem but heavy rains have. The tire drag goes up wildly.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck Sam! Have a safe trip.

Thanks. So far so fun.

- - - Updated - - -

All the best, Sam! I'll never bother driving that far in my 60 but, this is going to be a fun read, I can tell.

It has been fun but I'm driving into the teeth of winter. Last night was the first snow I've driven through but the MS60 handled like a champ. Today, the Rockies!

New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins has a couple of free L2 chargers, and the brewery tour is a lot of fun.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Brewery.aspx

If you want to use the L2 chargers at New Belgium, you have to arrive during business hours: they start the charger for you only if you ask at the bar in the tasting room.

Sounds like you're already past Blanding: if not, there are two 14-50 opportunities between Flagstaff and Blanding that I checked out last week while driving from Denver to El Centro. Call ahead during business hours and talk to Yvonne at Goulding's Campground in Monument Valley, 435-727-3235; or Iva at the Quality Inn Navajo Nation in Tuba City, 928-283-4545.

Keep on keeping on, and good luck to you.

New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins has a couple of free L2 chargers, and the brewery tour is a lot of fun.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Brewery.aspx

I may stop there but this is a "supercharging only" trip. Thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

Best of luck to a fellow MS60! Following on Twitter, looking forward to updates and jealous of the trip as I know it will be epic! I'm sure you'll further hone your efficiency skills ;)

I read your road trip stories and you are one (of many) inspirations. Thanks!