Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gainesville, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, i think it is new news. I also suspect some credit goes to Larry, who has been an advocate of that location for quite a while. Looks like trips to Tallahassee for football season are in my future!
Thanks Steve,
Yes, back in July I had communications with the head of Supercharger deployment and the idea was positively received. It is gratifying to see it manifested on the interactive map as "Coming Soon".
It is also good to see that the schedule of the Tampa location has been advanced from prior versions.
Larry

Awesome news on both fronts. Even Orlando should have a SC. Such a big tourist destination has to have it for local travel.
Hi Amit,

I'm pretty sure that eventually we will see a Supercharger in the Orlando area. However, I doubt that during the initial rollout of the network Tesla will be investing in Superchargers at destinations or in local travel.

You may have seen my email describing Tesla's Destination Charging Program in which they are providing free or discounted High Power Wall Connectors to qualifying destinations.

Larry

Ocala, at SR200 and I-75 would be a great location. 2 nearby malls, most chain restaurants, hotels and lots of places to put an SC are nearby. It is 186 miles from PSL, much less from Tampa and 105 miles from the I-10 / I-75 intersection where the Lake City SC would presumably be located. Easy range for a 60 to go from SW or SE Florida to Georgia or the West via I-10

Ocala, at SR200 and I-75 would be a great location. 2 nearby malls, most chain restaurants, hotels and lots of places to put an SC are nearby. It is 186 miles from PSL, much less from Tampa and 105 miles from the I-10 / I-75 intersection where the Lake City SC would presumably be located. Easy range for a 60 to go from SW or SE Florida to Georgia or the West via I-10
Hi Keith,

Yes, definitely looks like a better plan. Nicely splits the distance between Lake City and Tampa.

Larry

In my opinion, Gainesville is too far away from the SC’s further South and too close to the I-10/I-75 SC at Lake City to add much benefit. Ocala or a bit further South would be ideal.

The SC should probably not be any further South than I-75 exit 329 which is at SR44 just North of where the Turnpike and I-75 merge, as the ability to serve both highways would be lost if it were further South. With a Tampa SC, a 60 car could easily make it from there to any location in the Ocala area and an 85 could make it from Ft. Myers.

I-75 Exit 329 is 166 miles from Port St Lucie SC, 203 miles from the Fort Myers SC and 106 miles from the I-10 interchange at I-75 exit 435 Lake City SC, thus it is well positioned to allow travel from anywhere in South Florida to the North or West. The downside of this location is that there are not many places suitable for good meals or shopping. There are two truck stops, a Days Inn and Super 8 motel, a McDonalds, Wendy’s and Steak and Shake. Ideally located, but not much to do while charging.

Exit 341 is the next exit to the North on I-75 at CR 484. It has a bit more to do with a Cracker Barrel, McDonalds, Waffle House, Zaxby’s for food, a Pilot travel center and Tractor Supply. For hotels, Hampton Inn, Microtel and Sleep Inn. A popular attraction here is the Don Garlits Museum of drag racing.
http://www.garlits.com
It is 178 miles from PSL, 215 from FMY and 94 miles from I-10.

Exit 350 is next and is the main Ocala exit on SR 200 which is SW College Road. Within a mile of the exit are two malls, many restaurants, hotels, campgrounds, etc. In my opinion, it offers much more to do than anything else South of Gainesville and would be the best choice for an SC. It is 187 miles from PSL, 225 from FMY and 85 from I-10.

Exits 352 at SR 40 and 354 at US 27 are next, but compared to 350, have little to offer and would be less desirable locations distance wise from the other SC’s.

Last edited: