Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigacapacitor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't impressed that the plan only mentioned lithium ion, at least from what I've taken in during the last 24hrs. Stationary battery apps have tended to be sealed lead-acid, and much cheaper per unit of storage. The folks with both PV and batteries probably know this best.

Locking in to Li-ion is just a mistake. Better and cheaper battery technology is coming before the gigafactory even starts production. Elon and partners will be making a big mistake thinking they will be able to undercut the competition's costs. Hopefully, they will realize this before too much longer.

I wasn't impressed that the plan only mentioned lithium ion, at least from what I've taken in during the last 24hrs. Stationary battery apps have tended to be sealed lead-acid, and much cheaper per unit of storage. The folks with both PV and batteries probably know this best.

But they take up much more space, are much heavier, and don't last as many charge/discharge cycles. LiIon is already cost competitive over the life of the battery. If LiIon gets less expensive it my tip the balance in favor.

Locking in to Li-ion is just a mistake. Better and cheaper battery technology is coming before the gigafactory even starts production. Elon and partners will be making a big mistake thinking they will be able to undercut the competition's costs. Hopefully, they will realize this before too much longer.

Who said they are locking in???

The PDF (all we have for now) says "Raw materials" "Anode" "Cathode" "Separator" "Electrolyte" "Casing". Nowhere does it say "Lithium".

If one company is showing the ability to adapt and iterate on the fly in this business I'd say it's Tesla.

Bob,

What do you think the chances are that Elon and his team are going to get blind sided by battery technology?

Slim. They are on top of it, and have hired some of the best to make sure they stay on top of developments in this area. This factory can adapt to chemistry tweaks if something develops, but they are building what will be the best battery available when the plant starts up.

I agree that weight is not important for stationary grid applications, but Tesla is already getting costs down to near LbA and this factory will bring them that much closer, and then when you look at the performance benefits of Li from the better power density, lack of peukert effects, and most importantly longevity, these batteries are starting to look well suited for stationary grid storage. Tesla is way out ahead on this one, and they are positioning themselves to be the center of the energy storage world.

What new and better alternative is there that will be in production within two to three years?

What new and better alternative is there that will be in production within two to three years?

I can't provide any details right now, unfortunately, but prototypes of one type of device (not a battery, but a capacitor) have been developed which have several times the energy capacity of Li-ion and are much cheaper as well. Plus, since it's a capactor, charge time should be about the same time as filling up a tank of gas and should last for millions of cycles. I just hope the gigafactory concept is flexible enough to adapt to this newer and better technology when it becomes available and not get locked into Li-ion batteries.

I can't provide any details right now, unfortunately, but prototypes of one type of device (not a battery, but a capacitor) have been developed which have several times the energy capacity of Li-ion and are much cheaper as well. Plus, since it's a capactor, charge time should be about the same time as filling up a tank of gas and should last for millions of cycles. I just hope the gigafactory concept is flexible enough to adapt to this newer and better technology when it becomes available and not get locked into Li-ion batteries.

I think they know this. You do know Elon did PhD work on supercapacitors while at Stanford?

I think they know this. You do know Elon did PhD work on supercapacitors while at Stanford?

Yes, I did know that and I was surprised that he's planning to invest $1.6 billion in Li-ion technology!

BTW, I doubt that Elon knows about this technology since the developer is extremely secretive about it (which is why I can't provide details right now).

- - - Updated - - -

I've been hearing stories of EEStor for a decade...its just around the corner. I hope they figure it out, but nobody in the right mind would stop progress in other areas waiting for EEStor.

The problem with EEStor is that they took a known data point which shows extremely high capacitance at low voltage and assumed they could simply pump the voltage up and gain capacitance in a linear way. The problem is that they assumed that the dielectric constant is constant over the entire voltage range, but it isn't a constant! That's why they've never been able to achieve their goal. It's basically a very poor assumption that killed EEStor.

Yes, I did know that and I was surprised that he's planning to invest $1.6 billion in Li-ion technology!

BTW, I doubt that Elon knows about this technology since the developer is extremely secretive about it (which is why I can't provide details right now).

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with EEStor is that they took a known data point which shows extremely high capacitance at low voltage and assumed they could simply pump the voltage up and gain capacitance in a linear way. The problem is that they assumed that the dielectric constant is constant over the entire voltage range, but it isn't a constant! That's why they've never been able to achieve their goal. It's basically a very poor assumption that killed EEStor.

Elon is well aware of many of the "fringe" companies, and he takes everything serious and looks at the core of every technology to asses their application to what Tesla is doing. I've seen him comment on several of these such as eestor, quantumscape, etc. If you know about it, and your not the only one, then he likely does too. If this is such a secret, then they do not have a prototype or an independently verified proof of concept. That being the case, there is no way they can reach full production in time to have any effect on Tesla's gigafactory. Elon would welcome a supercapacitor if a viable one existed, but since it does not, and he needs to have something in three years in order to start production on the Model E, that is what we have. Any comments about some super secret technology that might come out is just a distraction. Lets keep this thread on the subject of the Tesla gigafactory that will be built to supply batteries for Tesla vehicles and Tesla Energy Storage Modules.

I'll believe it when I see it. Mass produced at competitive price. Until then my money is on Musk & c/o.

Gradual iterations and economics of scale with proven technology is sometimes less sexy than a revolutionary new product - a leap in technology - but most progress comes through continous gradual iteration, while the leap sounds great it is a very uncommon phenomenon in real life.

Bob, I notice that you posted this on your blog earlier today:

Elon Musk's Gigaboner

Tesla Motors has announced that, along with partners, it will spend $5 Billion to build a gigafactory to produce Lithium-ion batteries. Everybody thinks this is a great idea, but we know that this is the biggest financial mistake in Musk's career.

Why? We will be detailing that after Musk fleshes out the details.

By the way, just as the rich get richer, Tesla will be using Other People's Money (OPM) to build the factory. Obviously.
I'm guessing you're not a fan?