Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were a designer for competitor what would you do to combat Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
So you work for Toyota or GM or any of the other car makers and you have free reign to enhance your ICE car.
But senior mgmt. has dictated a BEV is not an option. What would you prioritize and how long would it take?
Most are pretty obvious so I wonder how long before we see the following?

Some thoughts:
1. Design goal #1.
Eliminate as many buttons as possible. There is no reason Tesla should continue its monopoly on the future UI.
Design two tablets. A 17" and 15". Steal (legally) as many UI features as you can from Tesla. Goal 2 years.
I'm sure this will become common place with Volvo already getting started.
Volvo announces new 'human machine interface' and it looks a lot like a tablet.
[video]http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/26/volvo-touchscreen-console/[/video]

2. Design goal #2.
Over the wire updates. Why should my cars need to come to the dealership for some recalls? If Tesla can do it so can I. (I think I can, I think I can I think I can.....)
Anything built in design goal #1 should be available over the wire. Goal 2 years for pilot.

3. Design goal #3.
Screw the concept of model years. Tesla is killing me by continuing to improve their cars. I'm going to pilot one or two models and do the same thing.
I'm bigger and have the additional resources. Tesla won't know what hit them. Goal 1 year.

4. Design goal #4
Make better use of space. I will transform one of my larger models to a hatchback so buyers can fill it up with cool stuff and still be a good looking car. No more complaints
that my customer bought stuff at Home Depot and they won't fit!

All ideas welcome just don't tell anybody. Please PM them to my private NSA account.
Wish me luck! Tesla will be easy pickins:smile:

.../

1. Design goal #1.
Eliminate as many buttons as possible. There is no reason Tesla should continue its monopoly on the future UI.
Design two tablets. A 17" and 15". Steal (legally) as many UI features as you can from Tesla. Goal 2 years.

/...
The YTube version:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I would focus on quality, and cost reduction. ICEs will be able to compete on price (most importantly initial price). I would focus on quality, but inexpensive parts. And simplify the vehicle.

I think Tesla's UI (while very useful and unique) still leaves much to be desired. While much less distracting and dangerous than I imagined, it still is much more distracting than physical buttons. Tactile feedback, and a way to support your hand off the dash to press buttons would be huge improvements.

Reliability and quality in manufacturing would be my other priority, by making parts robust and simple. LEDs not bulbs. Let's be fair. The Model S isn't the best car for little nagging issues. Overall the car in great, but I have had a lot of annoyances. The large manufacturers have a lot more experience here. And can make a higher build quality vehicle.

And lastly leverage economies of scale. GM, Ford, Fiat/Chryser, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti all have much more room to leverage this. This combined with a slightly simpler lower initial cost vehicle could go a long way.

I also would start offering lower power, smaller engined vehicles. 100hp in a compact car is more than enough, for a transport unit.

And well there is always the option of 30gallon fuel tanks! :cool:

So you work for Toyota or GM or any of the other car makers and you have free reign to enhance your ICE car.
But senior mgmt. has dictated a BEV is not an option. What would you prioritize and how long would it take?
Most are pretty obvious so I wonder how long before we see the following?

Some thoughts:
1. Design goal #1.
Sure, why not.

2. Design goal #2.
Over the wire updates. Why should my cars need to come to the dealership for some recalls? If Tesla can do it so can I. (I think I can, I think I can I think I can.....)
Anything built in design goal #1 should be available over the wire. Goal 2 years for pilot.
No can do. Your customers are not the people buying the cars, but the resellers. And resellers WANT people to bring in their cars for expensive maintenance.

3. Design goal #3.
Screw the concept of model years. Tesla is killing me by continuing to improve their cars. I'm going to pilot one or two models and do the same thing.
I'm bigger and have the additional resources. Tesla won't know what hit them. Goal 1 year.
No can do, for the same reason as above. Resellers WANT people to abandon perfectly working good cars just because they are "last year's model".

4. Design goal #4
Make better use of space. I will transform one of my larger models to a hatchback so buyers can fill it up with cool stuff and still be a good looking car. No more complaints
that my customer bought stuff at Home Depot and they won't fit!
Sure, why not.