Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran out of juice, 12V and main pack drained, need info.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
due to a series of unfortunate events, my model s is sitting with dead 12v and main pack on the freeway , 3 miles north of the Macedonia supercharger. tesla, aaa, and the police cannot find a towing company that will tow the ms. finally got someone to come out, and even with jump box on the 12, it will not go into tow mode..... S***! So now a dolly truck is needed as the back wheels are locked, no tow hooks on the car, and tow company refuses to drag the back wheels a few feet onto the flatbed. Dolly truck will be unavailable until tomorrow sometime, and I am not holding my breath.

So the big question I need help with. How long after the car will no longer drive, will it take for the car to go into safety mode and lock out the car so it needs to be taken to a safety center to be woken up?

i thought the Cleveland service center was open, but Apearantly it is not, so next closest is Cincinnati. 2 1/2 he's away, and I have grandma and 2 little kids with me. we are at a hotel right now, the police are very nice here and drove us.

so, main concern is the pack going into safety mode and need to be taken to a service center. how many hours do u have? going to attempt to get the tow early morning around 8 am, car stopped at 10pm. I will have it towed to the supercharger first, and see if we can get it charging with the aid of an12v boost box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you call Tesla road side assistance? It's odd the car won't let you engage tow mode but yet it's still responding to the mobile app etc. Did you have your foot on the brake when you tried to turn on tow mode?

Did you call Tesla road side assistance? It's odd the car won't let you engage tow mode but yet it's still responding to the mobile app etc. Did you have your foot on the brake when you tried to turn on tow mode?
Yah, called them, the nice girl tried very hard to get a tow truck, over 15 companies she contacted. mostly, the tow companies did not want the liability of towing a tesla. she then as a last effort had the police come out so we could stay warm, and the cop got a tow truck out. tow truck arrived, first he wouldn't tow it because their are no towing hooks on the car. then he agreed to chain up to the control arms, but then the car wouldn't go into tow mode, yes brake was depressed. the button on the screen became press able but nothing happened. as the car would not go into tow mode, he refused to tow and said I need a wheel dolly truck. he called a number of places as his company did not have one available, the officer called, and even aaa tried finding a company with a dolly. finally aaa basically told me none were available and I was SOL and to have a good evening.
the tow truck driver said to call his company at 7 am, 1 hr to go, and they MIGHT be able to get a dolly out. and yes, we had a jump box on the 12v.
im just taken back that no one wanted to tow a tesla because it's a tesla. first thing the tow truck driver that did show up said WANs a note pos tesla...

Best wishes and I am confident it will turn out good. I know it sucks and disrupts your plans. Once it is all over and has a happy ending, it will make you a more experienced and of course this will be a memorable night. Again best wishes and keep us updated.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Islandbayy! Please remember that after 8-12 hours of the 12V being low, the car will lower the driver's window. It will happen right before the 12V goes total dead and the car stops responding to the mobile app. You might want to use some plastic and tape to seal it if you know the car will still be outside awhile. Unfortunately I know all this from personal experience. My car's DC-DC converter died, letting the 12V go low and therefore immobilizing the car, which still had 200+ miles of range in the pack.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Islandbayy! Please remember that after 8-12 hours of the 12V being low, the car will lower the driver's window. It will happen right before the 12V goes total dead and the car stops responding to the mobile app. You might want to use some plastic and tape to seal it if you know the car will still be outside awhile. Unfortunately I know all this from personal experience. My car's DC-DC converter died, letting the 12V go low and therefore immobilizing the car, which still had 200+ miles of range in the pack.
too late, left the car 8 hrs ago, didn't have plastic or anything to seal with. I forgot about the windows thing, so the car has been sitting on the side of the freeway all might possibly with the windows down, and all our luggage, computer, etc... in it. this keeps getting better, and now the tow company that told me to call back in the morning, called
them and they decided they will not tow it even with dollies, this is getting freaking insane. called another different tow company, they won't tow a tesla either. that makes 16 confirmed tow companies that will not tow me. if anything, ThaT is a issue tesla must address. Part of the reason seems to be liability with Monroe hooks. so back to calling more companies. I'm now calling at a 40 mile radius to me.

12v dead, main pack dead, need info.

That brings back souvenirs... What's your VIN? The trick we did was to *boost* the 12v like you do on ICE cars and while doing it you put the car on tow mode and turn it off ASAP so the parking brake doesn't reengage. I had to be fast doing this. This is a major point of failure for the car. They have to improve this for Model E...

image.jpg

I'm not quite following. Did the car suffer a mechanical failure of some sort, or did you just drive it past zero miles?
no mechanical failure, sitting in tow truck right now, I will update with the fine details lasted after successful charge. I was low on charge, limped off the freeway and charged on a 120 long enough to get what appeared to be enough to make it the last 8 miles to the SC. Started out ok, averaged 230 watts/mile (can anyone say hype emailing!), the , even though no temp limiting, the battery pack heater kicked in, energy usage shot way up and the exit was just out of reach.

no mechanical failure, sitting in tow truck right now, I will update with the fine details lasted after successful charge. I was low on charge, limped off the freeway and charged on a 120 long enough to get what appeared to be enough to make it the last 8 miles to the SC. Started out ok, averaged 230 watts/mile (can anyone say hype emailing!), the , even though no temp limiting, the battery pack heater kicked in, energy usage shot way up and the exit was just out of reach.

120V eww. :(

Sorry you had to go through this. I think Elon should give you an 85kWh battery for all the trouble you've been through and all the goodwill you give the Tesla brand. :)

Maybe all TMC members could kick in a couple $'s and crowdfund an 85kWh upgrade for islandbayy?