Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What New Tires are the Best These Days 2/26/14? 21" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the misfortune of a flat last night. And the tow truck driver told me both my rear tires are totally shot and undriveable. The wear lines are not totally worn out, but the inside walls are -- something I never checked.

But I have no idea what tires are out there now. Most of the threads on the forums are quite old. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I will probably have them ordered through tire rack.com to my local garage.

This thread has some information:
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

I'm happy with the Pilot Super Sports. Definitely get an alignment, sounds like your rear wheels were one of the ones not properly aligned if you had severe wear on the inside.

Short summary that I'm aware of:
Contis good (the originals I got)
Pilot Super Sports good
Pilot PS2 ubergood and very expensive
Hankooks mixed

Last edited:
Hmmm…

$295 for Pilot Super Sport 30K warranty
$543 for the Pilot PS2 20K warranty

Will any rear tires last 20K on a Model S?

Thanks ckessel, I look through this list. It is very helpful as the other thread has many pages.

Ah, a bad alignment may make sense, but the tread wear doesn't look particularly uneven. But it is so hard to even look at these tires vs. a normal car.

Last edited:
In September 2013 I replaced my worn out 21" Contis with:

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.

I purchased 4 of those for $740 from Discounttiredirect.com with a $40 online order savings and free shipping. I drop shipped to my installer who mounted and balanced for $88.

So far I'm happy with the Hankooks for the last 5,000 miles.

Mike

Last edited:
So I went with the Pilot Super Sport and they are on the way to the garage.

I'm curious why the invoice had this notice. This pressure rating does seem a bit higher than normal. Do I need to be more careful about keeping the tires very full?

Important Notes:
XL/RF tires required. Customer must maintain higher tire pressure levels of 42psi for proper load. *********PLEASE COPY THIS NOTE ONTO INVOICE************

So I went with the Pilot Super Sport and they are on the way to the garage.

I'm curious why the invoice had this notice. This pressure rating does seem a bit higher than normal. Do I need to be more careful about keeping the tires very full?

Important Notes:
XL/RF tires required. Customer must maintain higher tire pressure levels of 42psi for proper load. *********PLEASE COPY THIS NOTE ONTO INVOICE************
That's the standard pressure Tesla recommends which I guess is higher than a typical car. Can't hurt to check the pressure once in a while, but the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) will warn you if the pressures get low.

I also noticed this which could be useful. AAA basic plan only tows you 10 miles or so. I'm assuming there are plenty of approved Michelin tire retailers around?

Flat Tire Changing Assistance for 3 years:2
Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S.and Canada for 3 years after you purchase your MICHELIN replacement tires.
In the event of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 (also provided on thetear-out wallet card), and a qualified service professional will replace yourflat tire with your inflated spare. If an inflated spare is not available, towingwill be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approvedMichelin tire retailer of your choice.

I also noticed this which could be useful. AAA basic plan only tows you 10 miles or so. I'm assuming there are plenty of approved Michelin tire retailers around?

Flat Tire Changing Assistance for 3 years:2
Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S.and Canada for 3 years after you purchase your MICHELIN replacement tires.
In the event of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 (also provided on thetear-out wallet card), and a qualified service professional will replace yourflat tire with your inflated spare. If an inflated spare is not available, towingwill be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approvedMichelin tire retailer of your choice.
I believe Tesla has towing as part of ownership, though not sure if that covers flats on non-Tesla tires. You can also generally add it to your insurance for cheap.

Regardless, I've had 2 flats in 20 years. It's rare enough you just eat the cost the once in a while it happens.

I've definitely had more than that, but not an outrageous amount. I found AAA worth it just for the discounts at hotels, so I can get local towing for free too.

I don't worry too much about it when around home, more so when traveling long distances. I'm planning to go cross-country soon! So this warranty could be helpful in the boonies.

Regardless, I've had 2 flats in 20 years. It's rare enough you just eat the cost the once in a while it happens.