Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunshade: Heatshield vs Covercraft vs ________________

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready to buy a sunshade for my MS.

Seems like the two choices are Heatshield: Sunshade for Tesla S 2012 2013 Heatshield Brand Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade : Amazon.com : Automotive
or
Covercraft: UVS100 Custom Sunscreens - UV Protection for the Interior

Based on some old threads, seems like it's a tossup, with the Covercraft having a slight advantage because it's two pieces and a bit easier to place.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

I've never used the Covercraft, but would give it serious consideration.
I have a Heathsheild for My MS and have used one in my Prius for years. they both have similar issues. 1)Rolled up they are big and bulky and don't fit neatly anywhere convenient. I think the Covercraft might be better in that regard if it folds flat and can rest on the passenger side floor or jammed b/w the arm rest and passenger seat. Not sure though, depends how thick it is.
2)Sagging--and this is the real deal breaker for me. I modified my sunshade for the Prius a few years ago and slid some bicycle flag fiberglass rods down b/w the layers to make it more rigid and supportive, that worked out pretty well. I haven't done that yet with the one for the MS, but it needs it. I just need to gather materials and make a point of doing it.

I do like the reflectivity and durability of the Heatsheild, the one for the Prius is almost 10 years old and while it has thinned a bit it is still quite usable and effective and I feel like it has done a great job preserving the interior of my car.

I have the Covercraft two-piece sunshade and although it works fine, it does take longer to put both halves up. I had the single piece version for my old M5 and it was great - high quality and held up fine for over 5 years. It does fit nicely in the covered back trunk compartment. No sagging issues as it has a firm folded-board construction.

I have the Covercraft two-piece sunshade too, it's just too much trouble so it rarely gets used. It also doesn't stay up against the windshield and so isn't as effective as it could be. I've used Heatshields in other cars and while they work great, they don't last very long because there are no stiffeners in them. I used to carry a couple of tea shipping boxes to push the middle up to the windshield. They last about three years before they are so floppy that even the tea box doesn't help.

I bought the Heatshield last summer as it was the only one avail at the time...

it works great, but storage is a pain. I keep it in the trunk well (I don't have the kids seats in back) -- so it's not as convenient to get out. Once temps heat back up, I'll use it when needed though.

Do you fold the sun visors down on top & it still won't stay against the windshield?

It barely reaches the sun visors. That's one of the problems with it.

- - - Updated - - -

The two photos shown of that sun shield look essentially the same as the Heatshield I have for my S.

Right. It will sag shortly. They would be perfect if there were some stiffening ribs running vertically.