Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands free telephone does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I know it is rubbish and talking by phone in the roadster is meaningless. But not for me. frequently I have emergency service and I m called on my cell phone when I m in the car.
Everything "worked as expected", but some months ago, I got this problem: The phone makes a connection and I can hear the caller ( or the person I have called ), but they do not hear me. They don't hear anything ( no noise ).
I m listening music by my phone and bluetooth without any problems.

After several months of wait a Tesla ranger came by and said the microphone is broken and replaced it and told me that now it works. When I got from work ( in the Renault Zoe ) and tested it, it didn't. I took the phone of my wife: Same problem. The other side does not hear anything...

Any ideas?

I am having the same issue with a Roadster Sport 2.0 with the JVC radio. Is the underlying problem an issue with the firmware on the Bluetooth module? I am able to hear callers just fine and stream music from my phone with no problems, but there whenever a call is connected the other party can't hear anything at all from my end.

My experience in my 1.5 is that often when my iPhone is paired to the car (which it does automatically) and I get a call I sometimes have to tell the phone to use the JVC head unit. However in my case the caller can't hear me and I can't hear the until I force the phone to use the JVC. So this sounds different than the OP's issue.

I've only taken a few calls in the car using the JVC Bluetooth system. As said, I can hear them fine, and the audio streaming works well (enough). But the callers had a very hard time hearing me. Not that they didn't hear stuff, just not me, and not very clearly.

As far as I can tell from my little experience and research, you need to yell at your right knee, since the bump in the dash in front of it is where the mike is. Your objective in doing this is to thank the caller for the call, tell them that you will call them back later. Unless you're sitting in the car, in the garage, not moving, anything beyond that is pretty much futile. It did work, sitting in the car, in the garage, not moving, house cordless phone in hand. Called the cell phone from the house phone, and I could hear myself ok, both directions (nice feedback, too). It's just too noisy a car for a whole-cabin audio pickup to work when on the road above about 50mi/80km per hr.

Anybody have any other way to do this?

What I observed was that if I answered and incoming call by touching the iPhone, then the audio stayed on the phone, not the JVC. If the call is answered by pushing a button on the JVC, then the bluetooth coupling is used. Curiously, outgoing calls placed from the iPhone did use bluetooth to the JVC.