Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vital Stats in the Diagnostics Menu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
In the "hidden" diagnostics menu there is an option to display vital statistics. One thing it displays is Ttrans (transmission temperature). On my roadster it always says -40C (I am in the UK so degrees C not F). Just wondering if this is normal - it was cold this morning but not -40C!

In the "hidden" diagnostics menu there is an option to display vital statistics. One thing it displays is Ttrans (transmission temperature). On my roadster it always says -40C (I am in the UK so degrees C not F). Just wondering if this is normal - it was cold this morning but not -40C!

I think this is one of the remnants left by the original transmission that was replaced. The new 1-speed transmission easily stays cool enough so they probably didn't bother putting a thermistor in it and never updated the display just in case they might need it at some point. Removing the connection to a PTC thermistor will cause the measuring device to think it's at its coldest possible temp.

Thanks! It seems to be pretty hard to find this code on the internet... I wonder what people are afraid of!
I guess - a combination of:

Tesla wanting to keep tight grip on all their proprietary technical knowledge, because positively...
... In the wrong hands (ie not technical or just ..oooops !) it could cause 'big problems' for the car's systems and warranty status ?
Tesla requesting moderators to remove - to avoid having to fix such 'big problems'. ?
... or negatively/cynically so that all and every issue needs a visit to the service centre/ranger ( and $$ ) ?

What do others think ?

I guess they don't want people without any knowledge to be poking around potentially "dangerous" features...
In the VAG-community, I've seen many people making terrible mistakes with their OBD2-cable and VCDS software. Some stuff is better left untouched (by noobs ;) ), like calibrations and such.

I have to respectfully disagree. I obtained the code from this forum (it seems it has been removed now, so I won't re-post it). I paid close attention of course, but it was perfectly clear which parts of the menu were just reporting information and which would reset something. I looked at my CAC, balancing, and the max/min temps and voltages, then pressed "back" until I was out of the menus. Just watch where you press. I used the eraser end of a pencil, which is smaller than the touch screen buttons, to be sure I didn't accidentally press anything I shouldn't.

I originally got the code from a Tesla dealer when I inquired how to turn back on the APS. They had only one guy that worked on roadsters and I got the impression that was one too many. There is not much to screw up as I have pressed every button there is. In the VDS (vehicle diagnostic system?) section you can lock everything up for several minutes, it appears to do a diagnostic test and becomes locked until completion. Both my cars are salvage so I was not concerned I was going cause problems.