Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Rear Window Shade Review and Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been eagerly awaiting the availability of the Tesla sunshade, as I have rear facing seats which my kids love, except we live in SoCal and it gets bright and warm back there. The day I noticed the price for the sunshade, I ordered it:
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/rear-liftgate-s...
The sunshade arrived in a bag very similar to the bag that the charging adapters come in. I unzipped the bag and pulled out the sunshade, which pops into shape quickly. It's a mesh material, a single piece, and installs without the use of suction cups or clips. It pops right next to the window, and stays in place easily within the space next to the rear window. It would take just a few seconds to remove it or replace it.
My kids felt a significant difference in the glare and heat in the back, and could still see out of the window pretty well. I haven't driven with it at night yet, but daytime visibility has been fine for me.
So far, I'm very happy with the purchase, although it is a bit pricey. The quality of construction seems very good and visibility is maintained. I had planned on tinting the rear window, but I don't think that will be necessary now.

IMG_5092.jpg
IMG_5093.jpg
IMG_5094.jpg
IMG_5091.jpg

thanks, I was holding back on ordering this, your review pushed me over the edge. I just placed the order.
here in FLA I think that kind of a shade is a must, now I need to find a windshield shade.
In addition, while the screen doesn't fully block the view from outside it does inhibit the view, you may not need the parcel shelf

Yes, it twists back up to fit in the Tesla bag that it comes in (very similar size and shape to the mobile connector adapter bag that comes with the MS).

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I keep asking the kids the difference and they say it's "lots better", but that's about as specific as they'll get. :)
I posted the one photo with the screen and the pano roof , and it seems to let in more light than the pano roof.
Tesla would probably let you return it if you don't think it's a significant enough difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, didn't know they had this. Thanks for the review!

Doesn't that describe everything from Tesla?

SO, So true! Although the Model S has been life changing for me, and the shade not so much. But maybe life changing for the kids since they're not as hot?
I do notice that people in the cars behind them at red lights don't wave as often to them as they used to. So they've got that extra bonus of anonymity. :)

can someone post a photograph of how it looks at night? Interested in seeing if it affects night time driving. Thank you.

Don't have a photo handy but basically it cuts down on the poorly aimed lights from the SUVs and pickups. To actually see, you use the backup camera--just like you do in the daytime. Honestly, they could get rid of the rear view mirror and it wouldn't make a difference in visibility (with or without the sunshade).

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have the rear jump seats. So, I was wondering if the car feels less hot with the rear shade while driving or after sitting in the sun for 10 minutes.

With the giant front windshield letting in heat--not likely. when the car is running, it helps, but when just sitting what helps the most is the pano roof open at 15%. Too bad Tesla removed the 15% setting. The 12% isn't good because there's no airflow, and the 20% is open way too far. Ownership said Tesla removed it because some people complained that it whistled at 15% while driving. I guess those who complained couldn't figure out that they just shouldn't use 15% while driving. Too bad they ruined it for the rest of us. It really helps when it's 40 C outside.

What if we ask Tesla to bring the 15% back when the car is off and make it go away when car is in motion. For the peeps who were at 15% and they started to drive off, they'll just have to adjust it slightly.

With the giant front windshield letting in heat--not likely. when the car is running, it helps, but when just sitting what helps the most is the pano roof open at 15%. Too bad Tesla removed the 15% setting. The 12% isn't good because there's no airflow, and the 20% is open way too far. Ownership said Tesla removed it because some people complained that it whistled at 15% while driving. I guess those who complained couldn't figure out that they just shouldn't use 15% while driving. Too bad they ruined it for the rest of us. It really helps when it's 40 C outside.