Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NRG eVgo Electric Car Fast Charging Station in Ventura County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Just read this press release Simon Unveils First NRG eVgo Electric Car Fast Charging Station in Ventura County - Bloomberg

Quote: "The new Freedom Station in Camarillo is part of a growing network of Freedom
Station sites in California with 19 now open or under construction and
features a 480-volt direct current (DC) fast charger that enables electric car
drivers, who are shopping and visiting, to recharge their vehicles in 30
minutes or less, as well as a traditional 240-volt alternating current (AC)
charger that can charge virtually all electric vehicles."

I had not heard of eVgo before. So I searched and found this NRG's eVgo Fast-Charge Network Seeks to 'Revolutionize' EV Travel | PluginCars.com

After more searching found an article describing the type of charging plugs offered at an eVgo station as " the new SAE combination plug" and "also includes a CHAdeMO DC fast-charging connection and a J1772 Level 2 charger."

So actually this isn't that useful to me as a Model S owner since the J1772 charger rate is not very fast and I can't use the SAE or CHAdeMO plugs, but worth keeping in mind as an emergency option. Of course there aren't many eVgo stations available yet and it remains to be seen if the company can make a go of it. Here is a page on the NRG site that shows where there stations are Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Find eVgo Electric Car Chargers

Last edited:
So actually this isn't that useful to me as a Model S owner since the J1772 charger ate is not very fast and I can't use the SAE or CHAdeMO plugs, but worth keeping in mind as an emergency option. Of course there aren't many eVgo stations available yet and it remains to be seen if the company can make a go of it. Here is a page on the NRG site that shows where there stations are Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Find eVgo Electric Car Chargers

If eVgo could figure out a reliable and secure way to keep a Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter at each of their stations, they might have a nice built in market by filling in fast charging between Superchargers for the Tesla community, a nice population to serve.

There are already two existing Blink CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging Stations in Thousand Oaks, California only about 10 miles east of this new one installed in Camarillo. More important a 10 Bay Tesla Supercharger is being installed soon in Oxnard, California only about 10 miles west of this one being installed in Camarillo All three are within 25 miles of each other in a line off the 101 Freeway, all in Ventura County. The eVgo rates are high. The two Blink DC Fast CHAdeMO chargesr are only $5 per session (not per hour) on an introductory promotion, and the Tesla Supercharger in Oxnard will be free.

Last edited: