Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Daimler deal (Model S implications)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I'm pretty excited about the this news. Looks like they might be able to greatly improve the car with Daimler's help. Does anyone know anything about the Li-Tec batteries?

Exciting part from Autobloggreen article
"Musk responding to question about the number of cells in the battery pack, says the current plan is to use the laptop cells for the model S with up to 8,000 cells. However, they may switch to a different cell design that would only use 1/4 of the cells or less"

Tesla/Daimler are speaking of "pouch cells" now.

Cell Mechanical Construction
Pouch Cells
pouch.gif
Pouch casings are typically used for Lithium Polymer cells with solid electrolytes, providing a low cost "flexible" (sometimes in unintended ways) construction. The the electrodes and the solid electrolyte are usually stacked in layers or laminations and enclosed in a foil envelope. The solid electrolyte permits safer, leak-proof cells. The foil construction allows very thin and light weight cell designs suitable for high power applications but because of the lack of rigidity of the casing the cells are prone to swelling as the cell temperature rises. Allowance must be made for the possibility of swelling when choosing cells to fit a particular cavity specified for the battery compartment. The cells are also vulnerable to external mechanical damage and battery pack designs should be designed to prevent such possibilities.​
The GS-Melcotec example illustrated uses spiral wound electrodes and a solid polymer electrolyte.​

This construction, using stacked electrodes is suitable for making odd shaped cells but few applications make use of this opportunity.​

I don't think those cells will require the same liquid cooling like the Roadster's laptop batteries. This might be helpful if they wanted to develop a pack that could be swapped at a Better Place swap station.

According to this video they operate between 40-80C (104-176F) so cooling shouldn't be an issue, though they do have heating pads placed in between to heat up the cells for lower temperatures.
[youtube]MqywKcJ0J2M[/youtube]

the puch

I love this guys design for his "pouch" You need to compress these guys to keep from expanding.

High End No Compromise Electric Vehicle Conversion Project

_0302_ready3.jpg

The best thing for Tesla from Benz will be parts assemblies. Not having to deal with parts from all over and getting them built, and built up again to send for production. So many small parts the Tesla needs are now rebuilt. Benz opens up the cad library and you see what fits. Tesla wanted an Alum. pan and such for the S. I dont think Benz has ever worked much with that. We might see the S based off the CLS for real.

Last edited:
Tesla Gets more credability

Personally I thing this really lends some credibility to what Tesla is doing. They should now have a ton more key components are there disposal extremely quickly which will lend a tone of street cred to the Model S. This is the news I personally wanted to hear to bad I just committed to renovating my kitchen and redoing my roof in the same year. Looks like deposit won't be in place till next year.

Daimler takes stake in US electric car maker Tesla - Forbes.com

Mercedes Electric, EPA Standards Bill, VW Bluesport Roadster, Ferrari Testa Rossa - Fast Lane Daily - 19May2009 | Fast Lane Daily - Auto News. Fast Cars. Fast and Fresh. Every day.

Tesla is a very lean company. One article said "German" and "cheap" don't go together.

A marriage problem might come about with timeframes and costs. In the silicon valley pizzabox engineering dept a request goes across the world for a windscreen wiper and M says well get back you in a month. A month later they show one that comes off an existing car they have. It is finely made German precision and weighs 22 pounds. Tesla could have whipped one up in a week.

The nuptials of the Hare and the Tortoise could work as one learns to fastrack and the other learns to get introspective. The finish line though, might be crossed first by the Fox.