Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels with public chargers in Minneapolis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Hey Minneapolis folks.

I'm trying to find a hotel (preferably near the airport) with overnight charging capabilities. I'm trying to use plugshare but it's being painfully slow right now. I also don't see a way to filter on hotels. I'm basically just clicking each one on the map to see if it happens to be a hotel.

If anyone near Minneapolis has some suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Replying to my own thread. It looks like the airport has 16 or so EVSEs. I think I'll just park there and take a shuttle to/from a hotel.

Yes there is L2 'free' charging in the ramps at the airport. 18mph/charge rate. Just back into the stall and press the button to dispense the cable. The only cost is the usual parking cost. If you park there you can also just take the Metro line if your hotel is within walking distance of it. They do monitor the stalls. Someone iced one of the stalls with a Altima and had a nice parking violation ticket on their window the last I was there. Ticket was actually marked 'non electric car in electric only parking'. :smile:

Otherwise if you just need a charge to get to the airport from the hotel, the msp service center isn't too far from the airport and will be happy to charge you up with their hpwc. Only negative is it's inside so during business hours. Just shoot them an email. Otherwise the Haaf ramp downtown has chargers also (L2). Downside there is that there is only 3 stalls. If you go there enter in the handicap marked entrance and you'll be right at the stalls.

I'm heading into this area and having trouble finding a hotel anywhere with a charger. Anyone out there that knows of one?

I decided to try using the chargers at the Mall of America. Not a destination I was particularly interested in, but I think I can easily shuttle it from the many local hotels.

Last edited:
I'm heading into this area and having trouble finding a hotel anywhere with a charger. Anyone out there that knows of one?

I decided to try using the chargers at the Mall of America. Not a destination I was particularly interested in, but I think I can easily shuttle it from the many local hotels.

The Radasion Blu is a recently built hotel that is connected to MOA that people say is pretty nice if you wanted to stay at the mall and use their chargers. Also, their is a light rail runs from MOA to the Airport to Minneapolis.

Ramps A and B in downtown Minneapolis now have a bunch of electric charging stations in them (Chargepoint, Level 2: .80cents an hour). Nice additional finally for something that was scheduled to happen last year.

Side note: what is the deal with the Tesla Store that was suppose to be in the Mall of America? It would seem logical that if they are opening that a SuperCharger would be added to the Mall parking ramp. They have the same setup in a few Malls. I know the King of Prusia in Philly is like this but didn't have SCs (but HPWC and 50amp though) but the DC Mall had the Tesla store but also a newer 'pre built drop in' SC times two in their mall parking ramp. This was slick and is the same SC that is in Aurora IL at 2 Brothers. Looks like its pre built on a slab, dropped onto the white line divider in a parking lot and you just trench the power line to it and your done. Instant SC in less than a day. It would be awesome if these were widely deployed by Tesla.

MSP really needs a SC though. It's just a pain not having one there right now.

I'm using the Tesla charger at the Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington right now. They have a reserved electric car space, and surprisingly, despite the full hotel parking lot, and the choice parking spot right by the front door, the spot was open. It's a Tesla charger, and I'm pulling 40A @200V or so. I chatted with the front desk and assistant manager a bit. I told them I picked their hotel because it had a Tesla charger. He told me they get a few Teslas here and there but not many. He also told me that people are good about not using that spot unless they are charging. He did say, though, that a guy in a pickup truck one time pulled into the spot, opened his gas cap, and stuck the charging cord in there so he could park closer to the hotel. Funny.

They keep the hotel shuttle van adjacent to the Tesla charger, opposite the other side of the electric car charging/parking spot, so if someone took up the charging space and you were really stuck, they said they would move the hotel van so you could get close enough to the charger to charge from the other side.

Nice hotel, nice people, and their rates were actually very reasonable.