Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Skirts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think vfx is referring to the fact that covered wheels are more aerodynamic than uncovered - and most of the energy to move a car goes into overcoming wind resistance. So as cars necessarily become more efficient in the future, wheel skirts are probably going to become prevalent.

The Protoscar being an efficient sports car may well be the shape of the future. The Roadster? Not terribly aerodynamic. Admittedly I question the aesthetics of going with wheel skirts in a convertible...

Last edited:
The old Honda insight was one of the most efficient cars on the road. The car companies all know that wheel skirts help, yet very few are willing to use them. I gather that the look scares too many customers away, so there is a big barrier to adoption.

honda-insight-hybrid.jpg

Tesla could have used them on the Roadster, but it really would have ruined the look.

Protoscar LAMPO:
medium_3328267195_7b9c1d2458_o.jpg

Last edited:
why so? We've seen cars without it

Some auto makers will be employing them to reduce drag. They might become common

*edit* Graham said it better..

That is, until battery and charging tech overcomes. (A thousand mile battery on a 10 minute charge will mean we will go back to heavy inefficient cars -because we can. )

Last edited:
Somewhat related - did you notice the fin attitude, if that's the right term, in the Model S wheels?

3488103831_4d39d98512.jpg

Seems like they designed it to present the least amount of wind resistance during rotation. Or it just looks like that to the fluid-dynamics ignorant like me :)

The old Honda insight was one of the most efficient cars on the road. The car companies all know that wheel skirts help, yet very few are willing to use them. I gather that the look scares too many customers away, so there is a big barrier to adoption.

honda-insight-hybrid.jpg

mmhmm.. compare it to the current insight... I think they got the picture. I'm sure there are comprimises

mmhmm.. compare it to the current insight... I think they got the picture. I'm sure there are comprimises
They are in the business of selling cars, not to have the most efficient car in the world (unless this means the best sales). So of course they are willing to sacrifice some efficiency if it means more car sales.

Though the success of the Prius (which doesn't look conventional either) is kind of encouraging for public acceptance of aerodynamic tweaks that look unconventional.

I say make skirts an option - while I laugh @ the supposed S's option of aerodynamic door handles (mostly because I feel they'd be an insignificant increase in aero), I think the idea is a good one. Some will feel skirts take away from the presentation, some may disagree, and some won't care if they get significant increase in efficiency.

So, make it an option and big-up your numbers by posting the mpgs (or equivalent) with the skirts on. That way, everybody wins!

They are in the business of selling cars, not to have the most efficient car in the world (unless this means the best sales). So of course they are willing to sacrifice some efficiency if it means more car sales.

Well that's the point isn't it? They could have the best car in the world, but if it isn't aesthetically-pleasing, they're going to slim down their potential buyer pool.

So my point was that yes, the original insight had them, new insight does not. I think they got the hint that most people think they're fugly.

So I guess Aptera is different enough that it's wheel covers gets a pass from those who don't like them? Or do those people also not like the Aptera?

The aptera is so quirky that the wheels aren't even near the top of the list of concerns lol. Though, the way the car is set up (wheels away from the body), I think it would have looked more odd if they WEREN'T covered.

The look they've got going on is pretty natural IMO, ala small planes:

Small%20Plane.jpg

or: http://www.flyingsummers.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/IMG_2876.JPG