Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Addition to Our Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of Friday, we are now a 2 Tesla family. I would like to to thank whoever it was in Chicago who gave up their P85. It has made my husband very happy. We will take very good care of it.
The twins.jpg

P01348 - Silver, Black, Matte Obeche, Performance, All the options except the kids seats.

When you push the 'open charge port' on one, does it open both? While a limited use case now, this will be a much more common issue when Model X hits. I'd like to see a 'car 0' (any Tesla), 'car 1' , 'car 2' option on the charger.

We have three in our family. If you are referring to the button on the HPWC connector when you state, "open charge port," yes it opens multiple Tesla Model S'. When all three (or two) are in range of the HPWC (distance is approximately 3 parking spaces or less), all three charge ports open.

Can you charge both at the same time? two HPWCs.. That's a lot of power!

My S does not have the dual chargers. So I just plug into a regular 50amp. But with that said we can charge both cars, mine on the 50 amp and my husbands on the HPWC, without any problem. Haven't tried running the dryer though while charging both cars. :)

- - - Updated - - -

When you push the 'open charge port' on one, does it open both? While a limited use case now, this will be a much more common issue when Model X hits. I'd like to see a 'car 0' (any Tesla), 'car 1' , 'car 2' option on the charger.

As michiganmodels said, yes. My husband enjoyed that too much the other day when I was trying to leave to meet a friend.

That's an entertaining side effect of parking in the Tesla zone at Santana Row in San Jose. When you come back to your car it's virtually guaranteed that someone has triggered the HPWC and all of the nearby vehicles responded. I presume this is one of the problems they'll address as multi-Tesla families become more common.

That's an entertaining side effect of parking in the Tesla zone at Santana Row in San Jose. When you come back to your car it's virtually guaranteed that someone has triggered the HPWC and all of the nearby vehicles responded. I presume this is one of the problems they'll address as multi-Tesla families become more common.

Doesn't the car need to be unlocked for the HPWC to open the charge port? NOTE: I don't have a HPWC but my UMC does NOT open the charge port door unless the car is unlocked so I assume it works the same way.

Ha. It looks like an O to me. Upon closer inspection it is a D. Makes more sense now. I was thinking you plate transferred from a Volvo or something lol

No problem. A lot of people get stuck on the EV and then can't figure out what it says.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't the car need to be unlocked for the HPWC to open the charge port? NOTE: I don't have a HPWC but my UMC does NOT open the charge port door unless the car is unlocked so I assume it works the same way.

Apparently the HPWC will open the charge port door even when the car is locked. Happened tonight when my husband came home. My S was parked in the garage and I assume locked, as I had walked away with the fob quite awhile before he got home. When he opened his charge port to plug his S in, the charge port on my S also opened.