Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summary of A vs B battery issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "issue" with the first-revision pack is that it is limited to 90 kW charging at Superchargers. For some people, it's a Big Thing(tm). For others, it's not. I have (perhaps had, we'll see what happens Monday) an "A" pack and I'm not particularly concerned because I've supercharged three times in 15 months of ownership. Other people who use them more may care.

What's the minimum VIN to assume you have B pack?
I guess at some point they switched from A to B within certain VIN ranges

For 85kWh, the highest reported A battery VIN is mine, 9331. However there were mixed A and B deliveries before then. After 9448, all batteries were B or higher. You can check this table for more details: Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Note that the A vs B distinction does not apply to 60kWh, as they are a different part number and were the newer battery types even in original revision.

The "issue" with the first-revision pack is that it is limited to 90 kW charging at Superchargers.

Indeed. And just to add to that, there are now concerns regarding a different degradation profile and reliability (as FlasherZ has recently learned). Wrt the former, there is insufficient evidence to reach a conclusion. However on the latter point, we do know that Tesla has replaced a fair number of A packs that have failed. For Sigs, the failure rate seems far greater than 1%, which is concerning.

Back on topic though, all new deliveries are configured with B or better batteries and you needn't worry about getting stuck with an A.

I just want to be fair - the problem I experienced last night has not implicated (yet) the battery pack. It correlates very closely with others who have said that the drive inverter was the failed item and only in certain cases were battery packs replaced. I'll check in when I have more information.

The concerns regarding A vs. B are:
1. 120 kW charging support
2. Taper algorithm with supercharging (different on A than on B)
3. Degradation profile

I don't see #2 discussed earlier in this thread, but it was discussed in depth in the original thread before #3 was even raised.