Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a road trip to Jacksonville,Fl from Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have a conference coming up in April in Amelia Island just outside Jacksonville,Fl. My wife and I were thinking about taking the Model S on our first major road trip. I've been studying the Tesla Supercharger locations and I think we can join up with the Somerset,PA charger and use the network all the way down to Jacksonville. If we stop in Fort Erie and top up to a full charge at the Sun Country charger there we may be able to take hwy 219 all the way down to Somerset, with a possible backup stop in Holiday Valley where there is a ChargePoint charger. I just signed up for a ChargePoint card in case I need to find a level 2 charger along the way.

Anyone in Ontario make this trip? The only concern I have is that it's pretty hilly through Pennsylvania so I will have to monitor the charge usage carefully as there are not many chargers along that route.

I hope to document the trip with a video journal so maybe I'll post that to YouTube when I'm done.

Any tips welcome...

Hey all,

I have a conference coming up in April in Amelia Island just outside Jacksonville,Fl. My wife and I were thinking about taking the Model S on our first major road trip. I've been studying the Tesla Supercharger locations and I think we can join up with the Somerset,PA charger and use the network all the way down to Jacksonville. If we stop in Fort Erie and top up to a full charge at the Sun Country charger there we may be able to take hwy 219 all the way down to Somerset, with a possible backup stop in Holiday Valley where there is a ChargePoint charger. I just signed up for a ChargePoint card in case I need to find a level 2 charger along the way.

Anyone in Ontario make this trip? The only concern I have is that it's pretty hilly through Pennsylvania so I will have to monitor the charge usage carefully as there are not many chargers along that route.

I hope to document the trip with a video journal so maybe I'll post that to YouTube when I'm done.

Any tips welcome...
the only problem you might encounter is once you reach FLA. there aren't too many chargers up there

But there should be a ton of RV parks, with 50 amp charging! You can't drive a mile without passing a dozen. There are RV park apps that will let you filter for those with 50 amp. I would just call a few along my route to make sure they would allow EV charging. Those are always great backups.

But there should be a ton of RV parks, with 50 amp charging! You can't drive a mile without passing a dozen. There are RV park apps that will let you filter for those with 50 amp. I would just call a few along my route to make sure they would allow EV charging. Those are always great backups.
I hate to be negative, while there may be "tons" of RV parks in your part of the world, up by amelia there may be 2, if they permit charging is something I cannot comment on.

Searching bing for "rv parks near amelia, fl", my first hit shows 5:
RV Campsites around Amelia Island, Florida | eHow

They are a little loose with "near" though -- {0, 25, 13, 26.5, 22} miles away.
I just don't like seeing someone imply something that isn't true.
there aren't many RV parks near Amelia Island with the operative word being ISLAND.
the only one that can be considered close is the ft clinch state park one.
st mary's GA is close if you're a bird however if you need to drive it is about 30 miles one way.
yulee is somewhat close by and the one in JAX is 15+miles away in the wrong direction.
all I am doing is trying to filter weak info

Wow, I didn't realize offering a suggestion and directing to an app to check and plan was "weak". Tough room.

I checked the RV park app I use before suggesting. While there may not be any ON Amelia Island, there are some not too far off the route before arriving that could assist in adding some needed miles in and out. (Yulee looks like it may be a possible option).

Wow, I didn't realize offering a suggestion and directing to an app to check and plan was "weak". Tough room.

I checked the RV park app I use before suggesting. While there may not be any ON Amelia Island, there are some not too far off the route before arriving that could assist in adding some needed miles in and out. (Yulee looks like it may be a possible option).
I really don't care to make this into any kind of an argument but this was what I meant by weak, "there should be a ton of RV parks, with 50 amp charging! You can't drive a mile without passing a dozen."

I wouldn't use the Fort Erie charge station O2...it is fine for an emergency stop, but, it is only a 40 amp station, and, although it is right beside the old fort, there are no restaurants or malls very close by...If you were stopping to take the historic tour of the old fort, that might be fine...I am reading into your post that a tour is not part of your itinerary.

The Travelodge in Niagara Falls (ON) has two CS-90 charge stations, and being that it is on Clifton Hill, it is right downtown and there are many places to kill an hour or two...

Hey all,

Any tips welcome...

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps some of the Ottawa or Montreal folks know if you could more easily access the U. S. east coast Superchargers by crossing into N. Y. State near Gananoque...

Last edited:
I really don't care to make this into any kind of an argument but this was what I meant by weak, "there should be a ton of RV parks, with 50 amp charging! You can't drive a mile without passing a dozen."

Guys... I really do appreciate everyone's input. I didn't think to lookup rv sites but it is a little thin in that area for car chargers. I checked plug share and it is actually show a Nema 14-50 outlet in a place called Fenandina Beach on the NW side of Amelia Island. Looks like it is used for vendors at a local fair parking ground. If it in unavailable I may have to try any and all sources available. Worse case I'll detour to the airport to use the ChargePoint charger there - a little out of the way but I should have enough range from the last supercharger in Savannah on the way south.

At the cottage I charge all weekend long on a 120v standard plug. I'll carry an extension cord with me if necessary :)

I'm sure something will work out...

Guys... I really do appreciate everyone's input. I didn't think to lookup rv sites but it is a little thin in that area for car chargers. I checked plug share and it is actually show a Nema 14-50 outlet in a place called Fenandina Beach on the NW side of Amelia Island. Looks like it is used for vendors at a local fair parking ground. If it in unavailable I may have to try any and all sources available. Worse case I'll detour to the airport to use the ChargePoint charger there - a little out of the way but I should have enough range from the last supercharger in Savannah on the way south.

At the cottage I charge all weekend long on a 120v standard plug. I'll carry an extension cord with me if necessary :)

I'm sure something will work out...
fernandina beach is a town on the same barrier island as amelia is, only a few miles to the north. the charger at the airport is in a private/paid parking lot. I don't know what the pay structure is there. you will certainly be able to make it from the savannah SC to amelia and the only issue would be to be certain to have about 150 miles worth of range to get back to savannah on your way home. you could do that with a 110 charge. good luck and keep us posted during your trip.

At least a couple of RV Parks are in the vicinity:

** Jacksonville N/St. Mary KOA 2970 Scrubby Bluff Road, Kingsland, GA 1(800) 562-5220
** Country Oaks Campground and RV Park St. Mary's Road (912) 729-6212
** Kiki RV Park Kingsland, GA (912) 673-7336
** Crooked River 6222 Charlie Smith Sr. Hwy, St. Marys, GA (800) 864-PARK
** Fernandina Beach, Fort Clinch (State Park) (904) 277-7274
** Flamingo Lake RV Resort 3640 Newcomb Rd, Jacksonville, FL (800) 782-4323
** Hanna Park Campground (904) 249-2316
** Little Talbot Island (State Park) (904) 251-2320
** Pecan Park RV Resort 650 Pecan Park Rd. Jacksonville, FL (904) 751-6770
** Horne Lake RV Park 77219 Hance Pkwy, Yulee, FL (800) 628-9953

I always call ahead to confirm the RV Park has space, and will accept an EV to charge.

Enjoy your conference!

I wouldn't use the Fort Erie charge station O2...it is fine for an emergency stop, but, it is only a 40 amp station, and, although it is right beside the old fort, there are no restaurants or malls very close by...If you were stopping to take the historic tour of the old fort, that might be fine...I am reading into your post that a tour is not part of your itinerary.

The Travelodge in Niagara Falls (ON) has two CS-90 charge stations, and being that it is on Clifton Hill, it is right downtown and there are many places to kill an hour or two...

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps some of the Ottawa or Montreal folks know if you could more easily access the U. S. east coast Superchargers by crossing into N. Y. State near Gananoque...

Thanks... Good point. I looked at the one at the brew pub Taps w a 70A charger... Sounds like a perfect stop for lunch.

There's a "Coming Soon" Supercharger that looks like it will be in the Albany, NY area. If you can find a Level II charger in Syracuse or Utica for a modest top-up that might be doable from Kingston. But I don't know when the Albany area Supercharger will be built.

Alright - posting my travel plans to Myrtle Beach for next week. Might be a similar journey for the OP. Will begin my own travel thread and keep it updated, similar to the Chicago trip I recently took.

Myrtle Beach Trip

Campbellford, Ontario (Home)

to

Niagara Falls Charger
4943 Clifton Hill Niagara Falls, ON L2G3N5
(301 km)

to

TMC JakeP’s HPWC near Cranberry or

Cranberry Charger
130 Commonwealth Dr , Warrendale, Pennsylvania, 15086
(357 km)

to