Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels have returned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed the aero wheels are showing up again as a $2500 option in the design studio. Surprised that there was enough demand that TSLA brought them back from the dead. I've seen many Model Ss on the road, but only one with Aero wheels. Curious how many actually missed that option?

kind of wondering if that's to appease those who want that bit of range back that was lost with loosing the ability to lower the air suspension all the way, seeing that it's not back yet on the latest firmware update...
Considering Tesla doesn't claim any range benefit from the air suspension on their website, this seems unlikely. They did claim a benefit from the wheels.

Aero wheels aren't showing up in the design studio for me. Maybe a temporary glitch?

Considering Tesla doesn't claim any range benefit from the air suspension on their website, this seems unlikely.
Incorrect.

Model S Features | Tesla Motors
SMART AIR SUSPENSION
Much more than a great ride and handling package, the Smart
Air Suspension combines automatic advantages with on-
demand features. As Model S accelerates, it lowers the vehicle
for optimized aerodynamics and increased range.
Use the
touchscreen to raise or lower Model S when traversing thick
snow or pulling into steep driveways.

And yet they never say how much. Every other range-improving option is accompanied by an actual estimate of the benefit received. For the suspension: nothing. Must be pretty negligible. Indeed, the design studio makes absolutely no claims about range at all.

Anyway, probably a discussion for another thread. Aero wheels still not showing in the studio. Looks like it was just some kind of website issue.

My SC said they had some Aeros instock and pulled them out for me to look at. They do look at lot better in person, but still my car is coming with the upgraded 19's--will probably stay with them as they have the more classic fan-blade Tesla look. They are going to give me the option of swapping for the Aeros if I want when I take delivery of the car. The Aeros are so uncommon and weird, I'm tempted to get them.. and my car is gray so I'm hoping for some gray-synergy. We'll see.

-m

Coming soon to the Michelin plant in SC.

tweel-airless-tire-2.jpg